Hot Rod Forum banner

ECU--Interchanges

892 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cjcougar 
#1 ·
What year etc.., ECU's will interchange with 1989 F-150 300hp 6cyl ?

#3 ·
Pretty sure he means 300 cu. in. (4.9L) inline 6 engine. ;)

Standard (Blue Streak) Online Catolog

This catalog lists *several* (11 in this case) different computers depending on equipment and calibration.

Once you get the correct part number to match yours, you can look in the buyers guide to see which other years/models may have the same computer.

If you're heading to the junk yard, you'll have to match up that OEM # in order to get one with the same calibration. (eg. E8TF - 12A650 - ABA)

I'm not sure that you could get just *any* other computer and have it re-flashed ... but I doubt it. That's why Bluestreak offers several different *remanufactured* units (this usually means you send in yours and they rebuild & program it, then ship it back to the parts store)

#4 ·
If going junking for a computer--
Take the VIN of your truck with you---match to vin on a donor.

I just did this with a 03 Taurus----4 different engine codes on that car for just the 3.0

Matched the VIN engine number to my car and got the ECM
All numbers on the harvested ECM matched the numbers on my broken ECM--Except for the date code.

Still had to have someone come by and re-flash the ECM.
Apparently the ECM knows what the VIN is of the car I took it from.
Would not allow me to start the car I put it in.

All kinds of weird noises, clicking, bells, anti-theft lights came on.

Mobile guy reflashed it for about $100 and took him a bit over an hour.

Junkyard ECM $40----Flashing $100-----still cheaper than a $300 ECM that still needs to be flashed for it to work in your car.

I understand that a new ECM need to be initially programed to a VIN before installation (Anti Theft stuff?) and then flashed again to get the car running properly.

#5 ·
An 89 F 150 ECM wont need to be flashed.
87-91 ish should be the same. Look for the correct options affected By ECM parameters IE: cubic inches/type of injection. Yours is 4.9 batch fire, they all were 87-91
Type of trans: standard, automatic Non electronic(AOD) or E4OD fully electronic . This part is very important.
Rear end ratio isnt quite as critical, but should be considered. Seems the pickups Mostly had a 3.54 in the 4X4 s . May be a 3.73.
As long as your engine trans and rear diff combo is the same the ECM will work.
IIRC those older fords had a seperate module for the 4X4 to interface with the ECM. So that shouldnt come into play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.