Edelbrock 1405 question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock 1405 question

One more try guys. My 383 has a stumble off the line, and a huge flat spot in the mid range when it is hammered. My plugs are showing an almost lean condition, but not quite in the danger zone. I have tried moving the accelerator pump linkage into the upper hole, and the lowest hole, but no real changes in performance. I don't mind some jet/needle work, but at 8.00 per set of rods, I would like some recommendations on where to start with this beast. The cruise mode feels fine, and the idle is very smmoth. It starts right up everytime with no problem. I just feel that I should be able to smoke the tires with this motor, but it really just falls on its face when I stomp it from a dead stop. I don't do it often, but on those occasions when I do it, I'd like it to respond.

Would a different set of springs help, or am I looking at rods, jets and springs.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Lack of adjustment on the edelbrocks are my only compliant about em. I guess they are supposed to be that way.

You engine is responding much the same way it would if the accelerator pump wasn't working or isn't working hard enough. I ran a edelbrock for a while and had much the same problem with adjusting the rod locations, and it doesn't seem to change much at all. The adjustment really is for timing of the pump shot rather than increasing the amount. That's where edelbrock's pit fall lies. Very little can be done if it just isn't enough. This is what I had to do to get the performance I wanted. Drill out the shooters with a pin drill and rework the passages ways to increase the volume of fuel to the carb squirter's. Then drill an appropriately sized hole even closer to the body of the carb then the most inner hole edelbrock supplies you with. This will increase the pressure behind the shot as also increasing the volume to a certian extent. Be careful though. This will affect how long the shot last's. It will reduce the duration of the shot by almost half it's intended setting. It's a fast shot that will cover the off idle stubble. To adjust the midrange, just up jet around two sizes. Since edelbrock has made the numbering system easy to read( check the manual for specifics) You can buy just one pair of Rods and get at least four settings you might be able to use by mixing and matching your stock jets and the new rods. You may even need to increase the spring that holds the jet's up so the power enrichment comes in earlier to cover the midrange stumble. If you buy a recalibration kit from edelbrock you get everything necessary to make the needed changes except for the mods to the pump circuit.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:13 AM
www.airriderz.com

Edelbrock

Let get to your comment about smoking the tires. Are you running a stick or automatic???? Do you have the tunning guide from the manual??? You can download a tuning guide off the Edelbrock web site that will help you get you carb running right where you want it. From the chart you will see how you need to change jets in sequence and use different needle valves and spring rates........

I have the 600 Edelbrock on my 530 HP SBC in a 3900 lb car. I have a 3200 stall in my car. I can roast the tires ( 235/50/18's all the way around ) from a light or while I am driving down the street. The 600 carb is too small for my setup. So I am going to go to either a 750 or 800 Edelbrock. Or 780 Holley Street Avenger. My point is, there are a lot of factors in getting the tires to break loose.

If you do have an automatic tranny. What is you stall speed??? Stall speed is a key factor in getting the tires to break loose. Just 200 more rpms in a stall converter can make the difference between hooking up. And breaking loose...... Good luck.....
Old 09-08-2003, 09:40 AM

You can also get different size nozzles for the accelerator pump. Email Edelbrock.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.