Edelbrock 1406 help please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock 1406 help please

I figured this might be quicker than Edelbrocks tech line. I bought a 72 Toyota FJ40 with a 327 with mild cam, torquer intake and ebrock 1406 carb. It runs REALLY rich. Anyone know which rods, springs and jets I should be using?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 PM
No officer I wonít do it again

Last photo:

Pages 10-19

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf
Old 03-10-2006, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

twisted wrench...your link is for the thunder carbs...he needs the performer carbs link (I don't have it)

tommy tempest, the 1406 tuning manual also is on the Edelbrock site...but is based on a dual plane for suggestions

there is a 1406 tuning kit of rods/jets/springs ($35?) for mix and match....don't know if it is the best range for a open plenum...

I'd call Edelbrock....
Old 03-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

look here
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_intro.html
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
twisted wrench...your link is for the thunder carbs...he needs the performer carbs link (I don't have it)

tommy tempest, the 1406 tuning manual also is on the Edelbrock site...but is based on a dual plane for suggestions

there is a 1406 tuning kit of rods/jets/springs ($35?) for mix and match....don't know if it is the best range for a open plenum...

I'd call Edelbrock....

Thatís the same link I use for performers, it says performer series and thunder series right on the first page. If it doesnít lead to that and just goes to thunder I donít what the deal is? I just hit the link myself and it went there. Maybe it just goes there when I hit it because I left it or something. Computers I guess. Anyways, I tried, sorry guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perf.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	10680  
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

I actually finally got through to Edelbrock, and they verified that my jets, metering rods, and springs are the originals, which if anything should be a little on the lean side. They suggested my fuel pressure might be too high, so I pulled the fuel line and hooked it to my guage and get 5psi while cranking the engine. They said 4-6 is optimum, so that not my problem. Let me give a little more history. I bought this car as a basket case with no wiring in it, so I never heard the engine run until just this week after I got my harness in. No idea how long it has been since it ran last. The PO claims only a year, but I'm guesing longer. The float bowls are very clean, and I had the tank rinsed and ran all new fuel lines. i pulled the plugs before i ever got it started (squirted oil down the cylinders) and they were all pretty black. I have had it running for 20 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times now. It actually loads up a bit as it idles, and when I rev it, it just belches black. It starts and runs very well in spite of it being rich. I haven't checked the timing yet as the mallory distrib was never pulled. I will check it, but that shouldn't make it run rich. I know I need to get rid of the torquer and put my performer on, but I don't think that's going to change my mixture either. Another thing Edelbrock told me was that for offroading these carbs the off road needle and seat work well along with plugging the passageway between the 2 float bowls. Hadn't heard that one before, but its straight from the horses mouth, so it must work!

Any other ideas?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:08 PM

I have a 1406 on 318 in a van. When the carb had stock jetting it was running so rich that it got 11.5 mpg on the highway. By using jetting reference #12 in the carbs owner manual and leaning the secondaries 1 step the mileage increased to 15 mpg hwy. Basically this set is stock metering rods with .095 primary jets and .092 secondary jets. In order to run this lean I had to change to the plain colored step up spring to get rid of a part throttle stumble. Keep in mind this is with a very mild cam, 204 degrees @ .050 intake. If you're running more cam than this you might not be able to run this lean.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Just looked at my cam card, and it is a 212 duration at .050 and .446 lift. Pretty mild. Also, I live at a low elevation and am taking it to Moab Utah next month, so I should probably go a little leaner to compensate for the altitude as well. They run even more rich at high altitude right?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

twisted wrench...apology...I guess that's a new web page for the manual(s)

tommy tempest...my .$02...drive it atleast 500 miles.... then pull the plugs and check for white/tan/wet/black etc....no load running in the garage won't tell you rich or lean
Old 03-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
twisted wrench...apology...I guess that's a new web page for the manual(s)

tommy tempest...my .$02...drive it atleast 500 miles.... then pull the plugs and check for white/tan/wet/black etc....no load running in the garage won't tell you rich or lean

Hey, no prob. Glad you verified that the link was right. I was thinking I had lost my mind. Dang pills I am on makes a person think crazy things.

Tommy I cant believe you got through to edelbrock! I have given up many times trying to get in touch with them. I found their web site is a lot faster for most things.
How do you rate? I am jealous now. Lol
Old 03-11-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytempest
Just looked at my cam card, and it is a 212 duration at .050 and .446 lift. Pretty mild. Also, I live at a low elevation and am taking it to Moab Utah next month, so I should probably go a little leaner to compensate for the altitude as well. They run even more rich at high altitude right?
That's right the higher the altitude the more you have to lean the carb. Unless it is a high dollar hand built carb most all aftermarket carbs come anywhere from a little rich to very rich. Both edelbrock and holley would rather foul a few plugs than burn up a motor. They don't know if the buyer is going to be able to jet the carb or not so they're going to start out rich.
Bye the way when you look at the jetting figures I posted keep in mind that my local altitude is around 550-650 feet.

Last edited by tresi; 03-11-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:50 AM

Last photo:

Thats pretty close to my altitude here which I believe is 600. That makes sense about them shipping them rich. Also, since this motor hasn't been run for at least a year, I should probably run it for awhile and maybe put new plugs in it before I get to excited about leaning it down. I will get the tuning kit though, and bring it and the tuning chart to Moab. Also, I am going to take the torquer off and put on a performer that I have laying around.
Thanks
Tom
Old 03-12-2006, 09:32 AM

Because it has set awhile I would get a new top gasket it might tear when you take the airhorn off to change jets. A complete rebuild kit and cleaning wouldn't be a bad idea for anything that set a year without running.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

Ooops, I hit back and this reposted. sorry...............edt button wont let me delete the post...........Just looked at my cam card, and it is a 212 duration at .050 and .446 lift. Pretty mild. Also, I live at a low elevation and am taking it to Moab Utah next month, so I should probably go a little leaner to compensate for the altitude as well. They run even more rich at high altitude right?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.