Edelbrock 1406 hesitation - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good deal! glad to hear you got it going! Have fun!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

Finally a little follow-up. After waiting over two weeks for edelbrock to reply to my email, they said that they no nonger reply to emails Since I am rarely off work in time to call their tech line (today being an exception) I tried adding a few grams to the air valve counterweights. 95% of the hesitation is now gone, seems I need just a tad more weight and all is good.
I have to wonder now if the 1405 counterweights are heavier than the 1406's?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Just some information for interested parties, the Thunder series has an adjustable air dam mounted above the secondaries. Like the Rochester Q jets.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Off idle hesitation with Edelbog.....

Im glad you found youre prob with the Edel 1406. I have one on a warmed over small block and it will not "tip in" for crap. I tried the longer stroke hole on the accel pump with no real result. After hearing your solution, i will be pulling the dang thing apart this weekend. I too noticed it takes a good move on the throttle to get gas out of the squirters.....where did you get the parts from, Summit?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

---------

Oh crap, I just noticed how old this thread is......my apologies.....
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Im glad you found youre prob with the Edel 1406. I have one on a warmed over small block and it will not "tip in" for crap. I tried the longer stroke hole on the accel pump with no real result. After hearing your solution, i will be pulling the dang thing apart this weekend. I too noticed it takes a good move on the throttle to get gas out of the squirters.....where did you get the parts from, Summit?
I used lead wheel weights (the ones with the double stick tape on them), trimmed them up then epoxied in place. There is not a lot of room for added weight so I spent some time filing them down to clear everything. It was a bit of a pain but worth it in the end.
I think some of the problem was too low of a stall speed and the fact that eddy carbs rely on air velocity rather than a squirter on the secondary side.
I got an offer I couldn't refuse and sold the truck in march of 2011, else I would have a better answer concerning the converter. I had a similar setup with less motor and a holley 1850 with a hesitation problem that cleared right up after switching the torque converter....
FWIW, the squirters should discharge at the first hint of throttle, might want to start there (new acc pump?) before messing with the counterweight.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

I have been fighting this 1406 EdelBOG for awhile now. It had the typical off idle bog and after installing a new pump, and using the different adjustment holes with no real improvement, just a little bit better. Well, guess what the trick ended up being.....BENDING the friggin rod a little at a time until it finally would give an instant fuel shot........then I fiddled around with the step up springs, starting with the heavy one, working to the light ones until "waaalaaa", the damn thing goes pretty good from off idle. NOW to figure out the secondary huge "hole" or bog when they kick in.....
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox View Post
you overlooked the holley! That's the very reason I switched.

Have you tried ported vacuum to the dist. instead of full time manifold vacuum? Some engines like it that way and some don't. Just like women!
Easy to check buy just capping off the manifold port and move the hose to the port on the front of the carb. Worth a try!
There are some good suggestions.

I have a problem with this. Which ever carb, holley or edelbrock, I have always been able to dial it in. ALWAYS. As long as the carb was for the application it worked well. If you are bogging it isn't the carb design necessarily. Qjets, afbs, avs, thermoquads, etc are really good carbs in their app.

As for timing, after you swap the cam in a driven vehicle, you will need more base timing and a curve to drive around on. 99% of the packages I built , required manifold vacuum to add advance at idle for a complete burn.

The vehicles that I built to race needed the timing locked out for best results with 3600+ stall and 4.10+ gears.

The only time I used ported was if on factory stock econo vehicle and the manual called for ported in the diagram.

Last edited by spinn; 03-17-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.