Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Edelbrock 2102 cam timing in 350 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/edelbrock-2102-cam-timing-350-a-223873.html)

rlb3 09-10-2012 08:40 PM

Edelbrock 2102 cam timing in 350

I have a new edelbrock 2102 cam/lifters set to go in a 91 c1500 350 tbi block. in the instructions it says "INSTALLATION NOTES: Use Performer-Link Timing Chain and Gear Set, #7800. Do not use late model timing sets. They are machined in a retarded position and are not recommended for this camshaft installation. Edelbrock Performer-Link True Rolling Timing Sets feature three keyways for specific timing selection. Always use the or straightup timing mark when installing Performer-Plus camshafts with Performer-Link Timing Sets." I already have a new cloyes timing set. If i set the dots on the gears straight up and down with each other will the timing be correct?:confused: If not can someone tell me where to set the gears at? Thanks

454C10 09-11-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlb3 (Post 1589696)
I have a new edelbrock 2102 cam/lifters set to go in a 91 c1500 350 tbi block. in the instructions it says "INSTALLATION NOTES: Use Performer-Link Timing Chain and Gear Set, #7800. Do not use late model timing sets. They are machined in a retarded position and are not recommended for this camshaft installation. Edelbrock Performer-Link True Rolling Timing Sets feature three keyways for specific timing selection. Always use the or straightup timing mark when installing Performer-Plus camshafts with Performer-Link Timing Sets." I already have a new cloyes timing set. If i set the dots on the gears straight up and down with each other will the timing be correct?:confused: If not can someone tell me where to set the gears at? Thanks

They are saying not to use the stock timing chain because it is retarded and is not adjustable.

The cloyes chain that you have will work fine. Install in the "straight up" position (no advance and no retard). Read the timing chain instructions, as there should be 3 different positions. Make sure you use the correct keyway for the crank gear for the straight up position.

Custom10 09-11-2012 09:03 AM

With both dots/marks @ 12 oclock you are at #1 cylinder at TDC, crank dot at 12 oclock and cam dot at 6 oclock (lined up close together) you are #6 cylinder at TDC.

As mentioned the set you have will work fine straight up.

F-BIRD'88 09-11-2012 10:30 AM

A new stock replacement or perf SBC timing set will not be retarded.
This note refers to smog era Ford V8's like the 351C.
Normally you do not need to adjust the cam phasing.
If you want to play you must degree in the cam before moving it.
Do not guess. Do not monkey with without degree ing it.

The cam "advance" is already built into the cam.