edelbrock 600 cfm (1406) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

edelbrock 600 cfm (1406)

I have a feeling I know why my car is flooding but this newbie would like some input.

327 chevy, edelbrock 600cfm.
Once in a while I go to start the car and without touching the accelerator it just cranks and cranks as if its flooded. Checked the plugs and they are definitely coated with fuel (oil too-might have bad rings?). I let it sit for about an hour and it'll fire right up. The thing that gets me is, it doesnt happen all the time, just once in a while. Sometimes it happens first thing in the morning when i try to fire it up (or afternoon), sometimes it happens after i've been driving it around all day and I shut it off for about 20 minutes, try to start and it cranks.
Any input?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 PM

Is your choke opening up all the way after the engine is warmed up?

I've been told by a ELDE rep. that that type of carb does'nt like high fuel pump pressure and I should use a fuel pressure regulator. I'm an not useing one on either my two, but I'm using bone stock fuel pumps. The Holley style replacement pumps may put out more then 5-6 pounds which may cause flooding.

When you think it's flooded and it's hard to start try holding the pedal to floor. Just take your foot of as soon as it starts. This opens the throttle plates and allows air in. This may get you going again untill you find out what's really wrong with it.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 AM

Last photo:

Many "stock" pumps will produce 6-9 psi the Edelbrock and Carter AFB's run best between 4 1/2 and 5 psi put a fuel pressure regulator on it and all should be good.Also with the air cleaner off and the engine cold try to start it and make sure the electric choke opens fully when warmed up,you may also want to check it with a voltmeter to make sure you are getting 12+ volts to the choke.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

I'm assuming spark has been checked when it won't start? Could be intermitant. I just resolved an issue on my car. Intermitant start and hesitation. Then just stopped starting all together. This was with a new distributor, coil, plugs, wires. The works. Turns out the new condenser went bad. Guess more info on what you checked would help.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

I've heard that before about the fuel pressure.. i'll look into that.

The choke doesnt close all the way when cool, but just tapping the accelerator closes it then i start it. After warming up it doesnt open all the way, it stays closed, the engine idles high, but once i tap the accelerator pedal again it opens up.
After I shut it off I tried starting it today and it did the same thing, just kept turning over. I tried holding it WOT and starting (by keeping the pedal to the floor) and it didnt start, so I got out, unhooked the springs to keep it WOT and noticed it started smoking. Is that normal ? the engine was warm and it didnt smoke a lot, but i left it open to air out a little.

The electric choke i noticed is running right into the HEI wire. I took the wire off the choke and after that and holding it open to allow air in, I was able to start it, then i quickly attached the wire back to the choke. Would that wire being hooked up to the HEI cause it not to start at times?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastypurplenova
I've heard that before about the fuel pressure.. i'll look into that.

The choke doesnt close all the way when cool, but just tapping the accelerator closes it then i start it. After warming up it doesnt open all the way, it stays closed, the engine idles high, but once i tap the accelerator pedal again it opens up.
After I shut it off I tried starting it today and it did the same thing, just kept turning over. I tried holding it WOT and starting (by keeping the pedal to the floor) and it didnt start, so I got out, unhooked the springs to keep it WOT and noticed it started smoking. Is that normal ? the engine was warm and it didnt smoke a lot, but i left it open to air out a little.

The electric choke i noticed is running right into the HEI wire. I took the wire off the choke and after that and holding it open to allow air in, I was able to start it, then i quickly attached the wire back to the choke. Would that wire being hooked up to the HEI cause it not to start at times?
Hook the choke wire to the windshield wiper + terminal.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

It is possible the smoking is from excess fuel pressure in the lines pushing fuel past the needle and seat,get a pressure regulator and like Tech said in His post change the HEI positive to the wiper + terminal.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

I hooked the choke wire to the ACC (which was previously a battery gauge) side of the fuse block, the HEI to the IGN on fuse block and just plugged the battery gauge into the windshield wiper switch. no more spliced wires, I like it! Ill post again if I continue to have a problem. I also ordered a rebuild kit for the carb, its pretty old and dirty im sure it could use it.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

Well, still having problems with it. I try holding the gas pedal down while starting but it doesnt work. I have a rebuilt kit for the carb, hopefully that'll solve some of the problems I have. I have a feeling something else is going bad though since there is oil on the plugs when I pull them out so maybe the rings are going bad, or something, not sure.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Took the plugs out, soaking wet with fuel and dripping. I'll let it sit a few hours and try again.

I only did this a few times, but when I shut it off i didnt notice any fuel dripping into the carb or smell fuel that bad. So based on this im led to believe its the float levels correct?
I also notice quite a bit of fuel in the carb just be looking down in there.. im not sure how much usually is in a carb.
Thanks for any info!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Read this post it may help you
Carb choke setting starting problems
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastypurplenova
Took the plugs out, soaking wet with fuel and dripping. I'll let it sit a few hours and try again.

I only did this a few times, but when I shut it off i didnt notice any fuel dripping into the carb or smell fuel that bad. So based on this im led to believe its the float levels correct?
I also notice quite a bit of fuel in the carb just be looking down in there.. im not sure how much usually is in a carb.
Thanks for any info!
JeffB mentioned excessive fuel pressure earlier in this thread. Have you addressed that possibility yet? Tee off at the carb inlet and run a nylon or copper line back to the firewall, up past the hood lip and to the cowl in front of the windshield. Procure a 0-15 mechanical fuel pressure gauge and mount it temporarily on the cowl with duct tape, tie wraps, whatever. Drive the car and observe the gauge through the windshield.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

sorry techinspector, I forgot to mention that post. No I havent hooked one up yet I will though as soon as I can get it started! haha
It recently decided to not even start, good thing its only a block away. I figure I'll take off the carb, clean/rebuild it up and hopefully get it started again.

I tried to start it today, while someone was turning over the engine I held the linkage at WOT, after a few trys it almost started up, a bunch of fuel spit out of the carb about 6 inches up and started smoking bad again.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

After the rebuild it has started and ran really well... I think I may need to get another accelerator pump though, there is a lot of hesitation off idle and shifting through each gear. However, it may also be because i havent let it warm up completely before driving it. The float levels were correct but so corroded that they didnt move freely, so its a good thing I got new ones. Also a little carb cleaner helped out on everything along with an air compressor. So far, so good... Thanks for the input, all!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM

With engine off, look down into the carb at the squirters for the acel-pump and move the throttle plate steadly. It should be shooting out steady a stream of fuel. If you still have points in your dizzy, check dwell and timing. These can cause stunble also. To be truthful it's hard to adjust a carb that doesn't hesitate in cold weather some, until it's warmed up. It's kind of an aquired driving skill to drive a carbed car in cold weather sometimes. Just ask any old timer.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.