Hot Rod Forum banner

Edelbrock 650 Manual Choke

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  fastnloud 
#1 ·
On my 82 GMC Sierra with a built 350, it has a Edelbrock 650 carb with a manual choke and pull out cable.

I have a hard time getting the truck to start when its been sitting a while, what is the proper way to go about starting this truck with the manual choke cable?

Would an electric choke be a good investment?

The truck runs great once up and going, I just don't like having to start it over and over again, and i've heard its bad to do this on a vehicle with a large cam especially.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
The owner usually learns what his particular car likes. My last manual choke car liked full choke,3 full shots from gas pedal,crank until it fires and push cable in slightly. keep foot on gas for a few seconds to maintain RPMs and push cable all the way in over about 30-40 seconds. start driving and good to go. in 1-2 minutes smooth

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
You press the gas pedal down then pull the choke . It has a idle cam that holds the throttle open more untill it is released pushing in. Do it slowly as it warms up. Cold temp cam setting I keep 1500-1800rpm. Hot temp choke 1200rpm. When it is cold the cable maybe though so manually press the gas pedal down, use the choke line to hold it.

A electric , turn keyon. Pump pedal to set choke idle cam. A second wot pump will release the hhigh idle cam.

Got it? P or N on a auto should go. Manual clutch down N.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.