edelbrock carb guru's help please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

edelbrock carb guru's help please

i bought a used edelbrock 600 & put it on my truck. it runs fine as long as it's not idling. i can screw the idle mixture screw all the way in on the passenger side & it doesn't change the rpm of the engine at all, i can take it out of the carb & it doesn't change anything. the other idle mixture screw works as it should. it also has a little drip on one of the front venturi. i'm not sure what causes that (i think a dirty needle & seat or metering rod?). i used to be good with these edelbrock carbs, but i've been on holleys for a good while now & just about forgotten every thing i new about edelbrock carbs. i'm going to put in a rebuild kit, but what else should i look for? thanks for your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

Take both idle mixture screws out and use a good carb spray cleaner with a tube type nozzle and spray it in where you took the idle screws out. Now follow up with a blast air in the same place with a rubber tipped nozzle. Then clean the idle mixture screw tapers real good then then reinstall. bottom them lightly and back out about 3 turns. It should idle better, then adjust accordingly. The dripping venturi may take care of it self after you do this. If not, probably a float needle and seat or the floats are set to high. Hope this helps you out

gcrmcc
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

that's what i was thinking of doing. i just wasn't sure if compressed air would hurt anything or not. thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 ss monte
that's what i was thinking of doing. i just wasn't sure if compressed air would hurt anything or not. thanks
No, it won't hurt the carb, I've done it many times over the years on used AFB's and Edlebrocks that have been sitting for a long time. Let us know how it works out. If it dosen't, I have other things you can try.

gcrmcc
Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

just here to give you the results.

i took the top off the carb & it was full of rust & all kinds of trash. cleaned it out & it still had a drip out of the passenger venturi. i put my hand over the chock horn & smothered it with the engine turning about 5,000 rpm. i did thats a few times & the drip stopped.

i blew out the idle passages like you said with carb cleaner & compressed air & it took care of the other problem i was having.

i just got my air compressor back up & running this weekend, thats why it took me so long to post back.

thanks for your help.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

I was Taught, when one or both Idle screws Have no effect on the mixture, It's time for a full rebuild!

It usually ment the Mixture Circuits were full of alien lifeforms and other Mung and crud, Or the Screws Had been bottomed out so tightly they scarred the taper against the throttle Body and now leak..

First place I'd start is pull it down and boil it out for a couple of hours, Neutralize it, Air dry it good, then install a new kit..

That usually sets it right..(if you follow the destructions <--misspell, but I like it , so it stays..) And set the levels and linkages Correctly..

Then again, I'm a Q~jet guy..Done only a FEW Elde's and Holley's ..but of the ones I have..this worked fine.

Doc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.