Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - edelbrock carb. still too rich!
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 04:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Centerline here's some answers to your questionning:I have smoke at starting only mostlikely worned valves seals. There are no leaks this I'm sure as initially I've fought with an intake leak that I've fixed now. Initially I was consumming much more oil like a quart at 250 miles....I then had edelbroc Unbaffled valve covers and it was sucked-in by the PCV. Now with the Billet baffled valve covers plus the PCV valve adapted into the Billet specialty breather the consumation reduced dramatically but I still burns around a quart/700 miles...so this,as I've always suspected should have an influence on my O2 sensor's reading but up to what point??

The higher the revs. the better is my mixture but even at 4000rpm I'm still too rich (according the sensor). I've changed the spring from the standard 5HG to 7HG this according to edelbrock to avoid lean spot under harder acceleration...I didn't noticed a big difference. At idle it depends how I settle the idle mixture screws so I can get anything from extra lean to extra rich. The cam is very mild 268.

So here I am contemplating all avenues without beeing sure where to go!! I'll get a third fuel pressure gauge to make sure i'm in the right pressure bracket first.

Changing these valve seals won'nt hurt anything . The oil consumation bugs me somewhat....it's a recent rebuilt with around 1400 miles but the rings are the type who should seat within 30 minutes of use (molys I think) so what else could cause this if not my pcv still sucking in?? Running without the PCV I am told will just keep me replacing gaskets...humm..

Eventually it will be all sorted-out!
thanks, Ronald.