Edelbrock carb tuning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2002, 11:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Edelbrock carb tuning

Howdy all! I have a 350 olds block, and I've already installed an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm w/ electric choke. My bro-in-law said not to worry about the choke since TX is so hot... any truth to that? Anyway, after doing a recent roller rocker conversion from stock, I noticed that the plugs and piston heads looked black and dry from carbon. I've heard that this is from having my carb too rich. The edelbrock manual isn't much for layman's terms on tuning the carb and seeking a good A/F ratio. Does anyone know of a good technique I can follow that will help me (in layman's terms)?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2002, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Cool

I have the same carb that you are using and here's the trick. Edelbrock states that you MUST have no more than 6 PSI of fuel pressure!!! If you have more, fuel will sneak past the needle and seat. In other words, only use the Performer fuel pump with the Performer carb or add a regulator. I have been told that 5 PSI is more like the right settiing. I have a Holley pump that makes 8-9 PSI and it runs so rich on idle that you can't run it in the garage without gagging. The other thing is to make sure that your float level is correct. It's a breeze to adjust, just pull off the top of the carb and flip it over, the Edelbrock website gives you the height spec. When I checked mine, one was right on and one was way off. The adjustment made a real difference in mixture, I'm going to pick up a pump hopefully this weekend for step 2.

As far as the choke, I would suggest hooking it up. Here in PA it was 90 and I still used the choke to start it.

<a href="http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html</a>

[ June 10, 2002: Message edited by: HotRodF100 ]</p>
Old 06-12-2002, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the good word HotRodF100! I just ordered a fuel pressure regulator from Jegs for $40, so hopefully this will assist. I'm going to do some homework on edelbrocks site to see more about taking off the top of the carb. At least make sure I'm unscrewing the right screws. I believe that the star screws on the top near the throats are the secondary adjustment screws... so if you have any info about exactly what to tweak there, and when removing the top, that'd be greatly appreciated also!
Old 06-12-2002, 06:42 PM

the star screws are to gain acsess to the rods, springs, and jets that controll mixture at part and full throtle on the primary side. Running on two not four barrols of the carb. They must be removed and the rods and pistons removed befor you remove all the top screws to take off the top. I wonder if lower vacume is the cause of your troubles. If so you can change the springs. It may be running in the power mode at low speed and or idle.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:44 PM

I forgot to ask if the elect choke is hocked up or if you adjusted the choke to stay open all the time. Allso be sure you have 12 volts to the wire that goes to the choke heater

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.