Edelbrock/Carter AVS users? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock/Carter AVS users?

Anyone here using either of these carbs? I just aquired one of the old Carter versions and a kit for my project and I "really" like the potential I see in it.. Just wondering if anyone can offer some real world experience with them. Info on the net appears to be almost non-existant..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

We used one on our NHRA stocker about 10 years ago. The thing ran really well. The key is to get the spring that holds the air door on the secondaries correct. Too loose it bogs and too tight it has trouble opening.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 AM

I saw some pics on the webb of the new eddy version and saw that the secondary actually has a conventional venturi booster, that is different from the Carters. I thought the Carter was rather unique with the tube and multipule holes, seems like that might give better atomization than the single squirter on the eddy. Probably more airflow from the eddy though..

I really like the idea of the adjustable secondary. I never fooled around with that aspect of the Quadrajets Ive had but they have always seemed to be a little lazy on the secondary side unless you hit passing gear. Seems like a no-brainer that these AVS carbs can be made more responsive than a Q-jet, very similar though.

I was reading in one of Vizzards books that the gate spring not only sets the time when the secondaries come into play, but you can actually calibrate the mixture because a quicker opening = a leaner condition and slower = richer.. I never thouoght of that until I read it..

What was your stocker?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Stocker was a '70 340 Duster, the car is currently run as a '71 Duster so we get to run a thermoquad.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 AM

So no one on Hotrodders.com uses an Eddy Thunder series???
Old 10-09-2010, 01:42 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I just installed a new 1806 in place of an old 1406. Swap was painless (should be - everything matches up between the two). I only have a couple hundred miles on it and have played with the AVS tension spring a little, but still don't have it dialed in the way I want it yet. I am looking to eliminate as much as possible the stumble on an off-idle throttle stab to the floor. Adding tension to the spring on the AVS seems to help although I feel I'm well nearing the practical limit for this. I have both increased and decreased the pump shot (trying to balance the mixture at the moment of the shot) with some improvement. I will experiment next with some of the internals. I'm running an Air Gap manifold so as the weather starts to cool here, it is becoming more difficult to do an apples/apples comparison, so it looks like it will have to wait until next year. Right now any throttle stab while the engine is running 1200 rpm or more is good, just trying to get it perfect I guess. The manifold may be a factor. I will say it has excellent street manners, with a slight loss of gas mileage over the 1406 (as I expected).
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber1949
. I will say it has excellent street manners, with a slight loss of gas mileage over the 1406 (as I expected).

What intake were you running with the AFB? As far as mileage goes, I have an AFB and this old carter AVS and the primaries look identical. Cant say about the new Eddy version but this Carter has some pretty fat butterfly rods. Im thinking about thining them out a bit for better booster signal/response. Especialy on the secondary side.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:38 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I'm running the RPM Air Gap (7501). This is not the optimum manifold for the 1406 which is made to run a little leaner than the 1405. Edelbrock indicated to me a while ago that the 1406 would not keep up with the manifold especially on the top end. Looking at the specs for the carb and manifold, I agree with that.

I also think your plan to slim down the diameter of the butterfly shaft is worth a try.

Here is the run down. My engine does not see the top end of the rpm range much so I didn't care. Besides the 1406 ran very smooth on the street except for the off-idle stumble when stabbed fully open. And really how often does one do that anyway? The RPM Air Gap is optimized for the 1500 - 6500 rpm range which I believe is part of the problem. Edelbrock advises I would do better with a Performer series manifold if I ran the 1406.

Anyway my old 1406 had worn butterfly shaft bushings and also needed a rebuild. That forced the decision between buying the rebuild kit as well as fixing the butterfly shaft issue or just buy new. I again talked to an Edelbrock rep at Norwalk back in June and asked him about my setup. He recommended that the 1806 might run a tad better because of the slightly higher cfm and the tunable AVS which would help the off-idle stumble. So weighing the cost of a rebuild kit plus some machine shop services for the butterflys, I decided on the a new 1806. New was more money than the rebuild but I'm pleased so far as I feel I'm half way or more to getting to my goal. I feel much of the rest is due to the manifold and I may not get there regardless of the carb I run. I like the Eddys for a street motor so I'm going to stick with those on this engine. The 1806 runs super smooth in all other respects.

I could kick myself as I had a head off a year ago to grind an exhaust valve and I should have replaced the manifold at that time - lesson learned.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.