Edelbrock heads / spark plugs ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Last journal entry: 930 4 speed transmission
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock heads / spark plugs ?

You can put this in the dumb question box, however I have a first gen 350 with edelbrock performer rpm heads (6071), angle plugs, 10-1 compression, mild cam. I can't seem to find anything regarding spark plug usage. It's just a street car running about 350 hp. I have a set of plugs in it now that were made for a Corvette. They are the two electrode style. I have an inconsistent idle quality and my gut is the plugs have something to do with it. I understand there are a lot of things which can cause an unstable idle but I would like to get an idea from you guys as to the correct plugs to use.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

Get rid of the gimmick plugs. Plain old AC Delco plugs will work fine, AC Platinum if you want to spend more. Then you can start looking for the cause of the erratic idle.

Larry
Old 03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I found this for the Edelbrock performer heads.........RECOMMENDED SPARK PLUGS: Champion: RC12YC NGK: BKR5E Autolite: 3926 Bosch: F6DSR AC Delco: R45TS (factory OEM plugs, they burn a little hotter allowing better fuel economy)
Old 03-10-2006, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknock
Get rid of the gimmick plugs. Plain old AC Delco plugs will work fine, AC Platinum if you want to spend more. Then you can start looking for the cause of the erratic idle.

Larry
I see the list on the other post however R45TS wont fit in the edelbrock angle plug heads, It takes a plug with a washer/flat end. Is there an AC plug that will fit? Do you have a part number? I want a standard single electrode plug as you said no room for gimmicks . The engine is mid mounted in a Porsche 914 with a 930 transmission. Its around 2300 lbs. Running just great, drives nice and has some kick as well.
http://members.cox.net/altjamy/HANNA...35.jpg.600.jpg

http://members.cox.net/angelpuppy234...ine%20in%20car
Old 03-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Wow very nice! I bet that thing is a beast. About the spark plugs you can run either gasketed or tapered spark plugs, the heads are designed to accept either kind. ............. That looks like a super tight fit in the engine bay, was it as hard as it looks to put in? I bet you surprise alot of people with it. All the power, and the best handling I love it!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Deuce 4 Me
Wow very nice! I bet that thing is a beast. About the spark plugs you can run either gasketed or tapered spark plugs, the heads are designed to accept either kind. ............. That looks like a super tight fit in the engine bay, was it as hard as it looks to put in? I bet you surprise alot of people with it. All the power, and the best handling I love it!
The engine bay is a bit tight in the front of the motor but there not much there. The water pump has been moved to the outside like a alternator. Everything is easy to get to but you can't really tell from the picture. The car is fun to drive and a real handful. The trans is built to hold much more horsepower than the motor puts out and has a limited slip differential. The car will just launch like a rocket and has nice freeway gearing. As any car like this its getting everything to work together. So far the project is going great and the car drives a lot like any small sports car but with a lot of extra power. Its really interesting when people in the little imports drive up next to me, they aren't sure what it is.. Its older than most of them, but they can tell when I drive off its got something a little different under the hood. I do all the work myself so often things have to be redesigned a few times before they ether work or I have to head in another direction. I don't have an extra 100k to shell out on a factory built burner
picture of the trans, cable linkage and slave cylinder
http://members.cox.net/angelpuppy234...20under%20view
Front radiator, fans, fuel pump, shielding
http://members.cox.net/angelpuppy234...%20fuel%20pump
Old 03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Looks like first class work. You say the trans is built to handle more h.p. I probably wouldn't add anymore if it was mine, just to keep it safe. Looks good man.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM

spark plug choice

It is a possibility spark plugs could be the answer depending on what type of ignition you are using. but if you are running 10:1 compression with a mild cam it is a possibility that the cam isn't designed to work with that high of a compression ratio. Also if you are running a stock ignition with high compression it may not be getting a complete enough combustion check out MSD iginitions. Another possibility of erratic idle could be a vaccum leak or not enough advance try rechecking your timing most small blocks like to run between 34 and 39 degrees of total timing.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Nice work.
I bet that thing launches like a top fueller.
Looks nice. Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.