Edelbrock Performer Intake,Carb,Cam,& Lifter Kit For 351W..Worth $600? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Good Deal On Intake Kit Or Not?
Yes 0 0%
No 1 20.00%
Build My Own 3 60.00%
Choose Another Brand Of Intake (i.e. Holley,Weiand,etc.) 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock Performer Intake,Carb,Cam,& Lifter Kit For 351W..Worth $600?

I'm looking for a decent deal for my fuel system when I build my 351W.In the Jeg's catalog,Edelbrock has a Performer Intake,Carb,Cam,and Lifter Kit for about $600.This kit is is arranged by which intake that you choose.In other words,all of this is suppose to "jive" together when it's operating,supposidly saving horsepower where it's most of the time wasted.

So,my question is..Would it be a good idea to go with one of these kits or build my own?I'm just looking for the best deal.I figure if this is one way to get it..Why not!?Anyway,I'll let ya'll vote on it and see what you think.

What about Edelbrock's other intakes?

Performer RPM
Air-Gap RPM
Torker

Nightrain

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Do the math on what you are getting. Let's see here, you get a cam and lifter kit which at $150.00 would be top dollar, an intake which would retail at $200.00 or less (probably considerably less), and a carburetor, which would be, depending upon the model, let's say a 600 carter AFB retread (can be bought for less than $200.00) I would say that they are selling this as a so called "engineered package" that is merely designed to sap the last dime out of you. You can buy a suitable cam and lifter kit all day long for $100.00, A performer type intake for $150.00 and an Edelbrock performer carb for $150.00, so you can save $200.00 by shopping on your own.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Here are better deals on Ebay:

Intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36474

Cam

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33614

Carb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33550

You can find a cheaper carb, but this one is new.

Last edited by lluciano77; 12-01-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Part of what you'r getting when you buy from Jegs & Eldebrock is A warranty from Eldebrock, a combination designed to work together, A tech department if it does't, a company that's going to deliver as expected every time, and someone to contact if you'r not satisfied. You can with experience, beat their prices and put together a good combo, but you can screw it up pretty badly too! I've had a Performer package on a 350 in a 1974 Stingray for some time now and it's great for the street. You need to run headers and turbo mufflers to get the most out of this package.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

A warranty? What is going to break on the carb, cam, and intake. The only thing you have to worry about is your own negligence in installation and the companies' warranties won't cover that.

First you need to determine what you want your engine to do. How fast is it going to be and in what RPM range. Then you need to read and research as much as you can. If you aren't willing to do that, but you are willing to blindly buy a performance package, then you will be seeing a lot of tailights and dust clouds. Not only that but you be spending way too much money.

Those performance packages are somewhat limiting. Not to say that in your research you won't arrive at the Performer package, but if it does you should have spent less money than that.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:34 PM

Last photo:

The question was about why people buy package deals. I absolutely agree with you on building your own set up base on what your needs are, but that's not something everyone can do. I have had to send a new Holly carb back (leaked), a Crane Cam back (lobes disintegrated, Crane admitted it had a heat treat problem). so things can go wrong. Now, do I buy package deals? sometimes, I also buy on line, from garage sales, want adds, and junk yards, but like you I've been at it for a while and I'm comfortable with my ability not to screw up to badly. When your just starting out safe is usually better that sorry, a few bad mistakes can turn someone off forever to building their own stuff.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.