edelbrock performer package hp increase? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

edelbrock performer package hp increase?

my motor is a 79 350 with an edelbrock performer intake, cam, and 600 cfm. i added roller tip rockers msd streetfire ignition witth an accel super coil, lighter dist. springs, ACCEL 8mm wires and headers. the exhaust isthe common y pipe setup that splits off to dual pipes on the 80's monte carlo ss. its a 1985 monte. without a dyno run and the timing set to 14 what kind of power do you guys thing this motor is making. i ran the block numbers and heads. the heads are 97cc and the block is a two bolt main setup that said it came with anywhere from 200 to 375 hp stock.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

What make is the engine? If it's a Chebby, the heads are closer to 76cc if they're original.

You might be making somewhere around 300 HP. Or not.

You say timing is at 14- this is the initial timing, I take it? You should use about 36 total timing w/o adding the vacuum advance. Unless you modify the distributor, set the total to 36 and let the initial fall wherever it falls, unless it is too much initial timing to allow hot starts.

If that's the case (hard starting due to too much initial w/the total at 36), you'll need to modify the distributor to add to the mechanical advance available or add an ignition interrupter.

On the other hand, if this drops the initial too low, you'll need to limit the mechanical advance allowed by the distributor, or use manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance so there's additional advance available at idle.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM

sorry they are 64 cc heads. i have another question. on my timing marks it goes up to 16 initial on the retarded side and 8 initial on the advance side. what do i do just guesstimate here or something to get 14? ive been having reman starter issues with grinding but have had motor running to break in new cam. ive4 bought 3 different starters, shimmed em aevery which way, bought new bolts, i cant get them to catch right. ive put so many starters in gm's n never had such problems.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls4speed
sorry they are 64 cc heads. i have another question. on my timing marks it goes up to 16 initial on the retarded side and 8 initial on the advance side. what do i do just guesstimate here or something to get 14?
The tab should have more degrees shown on the BTDC side (CCW from 0) than the ATDC side of "0" (TDC).

On the tab below, "0" is just to the Left of the "A" in "AFTER". Each division is 2.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, or to extend the tab so you can read further out than the tab goes.

DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correct for TDC.

Quote:
ive been having reman starter issues with grinding but have had motor running to break in new cam. ive4 bought 3 different starters, shimmed em aevery which way, bought new bolts, i cant get them to catch right. ive put so many starters in gm's n never had such problems
About all that is left is a bad flex plate, I'd say.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM

brand new flex plate. im still not understanding the timing thing. i can build a motor to run mint with full confidence but when it comes to math like this im not confident. its jibberish. i have that same tab for timing like the pic. ive always timed by ear. being a new motor i want it done with a light. so when i plug the advance i should put the mark on zero and turn dist clockwise and it shoul move to the 6 mark then 8 mark and so on till 14 right. if i get timing tape i put the zero on the tape with the mark on the balancer? then turn it to 14 on the btdc side? idk. i have a hard time taking info like this from paper to doing it for real. i have a much easier time doin sht hands on if u know what i mean.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The performer package is awesome on a torque build with 1800-1900 stall. For instance a 305 head 350/th350 with EPS intake and 3.08 8.5" rear 235/70/15s laid down 206 rwhp. Stock exhaust manifolds with 2.25" turbo muffler true duals. Tuning required a long curve 38 degress total, 18 initail and 2o in at 3200. 10 in the vac can at manifold vacuum ***. Cheapo ebay HEI controlling it all. Carb was a M4M Q jet dual pump G hanger , DR secondaries.

Forced downshift at WOT is intense. Tires burn off the OEM rally's. Smooth cruise.

Not a corvette, but it is a hard pulling vehicle build.

The RPM build was not so good for a road car. Poor actually, but dragster fast.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

you can not say *** ?

How about nipple ?
Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
you can not say *** ?

How about nipple ?
I suppose you could use the word titt and then put (sic) after it. (sic) is used when the writer knows the spelling is bogus, but wants to convey the writing just as it was presented by the original writer, or in this case in order to try to outwit the profanity machine. Another example might be like the word "perfect". If it were spelled wrongly, as "perfekt" for example, and you were repeating it for someone else, you would use the mis-spelled example and use (sic) after it, telling the reader that you know better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic
Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
brand new flex plate. im still not understanding the timing thing. i can build a motor to run mint with full confidence but when it comes to math like this im not confident. its jibberish. i have that same tab for timing like the pic. ive always timed by ear. being a new motor i want it done with a light. so when i plug the advance i should put the mark on zero and turn dist clockwise and it shoul move to the 6 mark then 8 mark and so on till 14 right. if i get timing tape i put the zero on the tape with the mark on the balancer? then turn it to 14 on the btdc side? idk. i have a hard time taking info like this from paper to doing it for real. i have a much easier time doin sht hands on if u know what i mean.
You need to rotate the distributor counter clockwise to advance the timing on the Chevy V8. To install the timing tape, zero on the tape aligns with the factory line on the balancer, then the BTDC section of the tape continues clockwise around the balancer.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
so when i plug the advance i should put the mark on zero and turn dist clockwise and it shoul move to the 6 mark then 8 mark and so on till 14 right.
Turn the distributor CCW to advance the timing on the SBC.

Quote:
if i get timing tape i put the zero on the tape with the mark on the balancer? then turn it to 14 on the btdc side?
Align the "0" on the timing tape with the line on the damper. The tape's numbers will show the degrees advanced if to the right of the damper line (or CW from the damper line).

When using the tape, use the "0 or TDC" mark on the tab to align w/the tape's numbers- disregard the other numbers on the tab- the tape now takes their place. ALL you need from the tab is an accurate "0" degrees (TDC).

Don't worry if it takes asking a few (more) times for clarification on this- it is a bit "quirky" to get at first- but if you stick w/it, it will make sense to you.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.