Which Edelbrock performer(prm) intake for 350 SBC? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which Edelbrock performer(prm) intake for 350 SBC?

Hello guys I have all the parts decided on except my intake manifold I cant decide between the edelbrock performer or the edelbrock performer rpm. I do not want the air gap design. Here is my engine setup

350 1st gen
3.480 by 4.00 bore
flat top 4 valve relief
Edelbrock 600 performer carb
Intake yet to be decided on.See above
Comp cam XR 270HR roller 270/276 218/224 @50 497/502 lift 1.5 rr
World Product Sportsman II 200cc intake runner heads 72 cc chamber
9:1 compression ratio.
Going in 96 S-10 with turbo 350 with shift kit and 2000.2200 stall convertor

I can't decide which intake to get the the edelbrock performer or the rpm performer. One goes to 5500 rpm max and the other 6500 rpm max. My cam power band goes to 5500 rpm but will the rpm performer give me the better results overall or not? Thanks for input. If you read Fbird or Bogie you guys know your stuff well your opinion will mean a lot.
Thanks
Eric

Estimated horsepower with camquest was around 391hp and 430 lbs of torque.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 AM
have a pheasant plucking day

Last photo:

Buy which ever one of them is more expensive.
dont you know that secret? The more expensive the part is, the greater its performance.....name brands dont even matter (even though there usually the most expensive ones)
just kidding.... get the one that makes you the "happiest" or blows your hair back, even if its the prm(per rotations minute).......
GM
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
One goes to 5500 rpm max and the other 6500 rpm max. My cam power band goes to 5500 rpm
Ayuh,... There's you're Answer right there....
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Are you sure about those heads? 200cc sportsmans is a LOT of head for that cam. Usually by the time people are considering 200cc heads for a 350, they're asking if they should do a Victor or a Victor Jr intake, but you're squarely in Performer territory.

I only say that to maybe save your wallet a bit. Consider that the sportsman 200cc head flows about 230cfm, and a bone stock 170cc Vortec head flows the same 230cfm with a full 30ccs less port volume. HUGE benefits in torque, throttle response, mileage, with no loss of HP. Plus with that cam, and vortec's nice fast-burn chamber, you can run 87 octane all day long at that compression.

Those heads are mostly designed with beefy port walls and decks so that the option is there for racers to port the heck out of them and angle mill the decks. They are not designed as a performance head out of the box.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Without a doubt the RPM manifold will be the best choice. It is much better at all points. Especially with the larger 200cc sportsman heads. Don't waste your $$$s on the lowly performer. You'd be giving up a lot of torque and power. The new Weiand Stealth hi rise is nice too. No complaints with the Pro Products Typhoon/Crosswind hi rise either.

I have used all these manifolds. Get a/the hi rise (rpm) type dual plane.
It even idles better.

A 750 carb is best.
The cr could be higher. mill your heads to 68cc or get the 64cc versions if you have not already purchased. Sportsman II heads need a bit of port/bowl/guide boss clean up. Then they rock.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-10-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Well I know someone would say you kind of answered your own question but the rpm performer I am guessing it would give me a little more horsepower from 4000 to 5500 rpm. But I guess after of doing some more research I am going to go with the Edelbrock performer EPS intake wich will give me a little more torque then the performer and give me a little more hp.

As far as heads goes I was going to go with vortec but I don't like the lack extras with the vortec. If I bought a set of vortecs and got all the machine work done for guide plates and screw in rocker studs along with being able to put on double valve springs I would have over a thousand plus bucks and to me its not worth it.

I was dong to go with World S/R torquer but buying the heads bare and getting the valve train parts needed cost more then getting the world product sportsman II's with the entire set up for a roller cam and it comes with good quality guide plates, screw in rocker arm studs etc. It will cost me less that way then the other ways.

I know the intake ports area little big but it would not be much different wise then what the vortec's flow up to 500 lift. Thanks though guys for input all is welcome
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Hey Fbird thanks for the reply. I guess then I will go with the rpm performer and its the same price as the performer EPS and you know your intakes better then I do. I am just a newbie here and am learning the trade. I will go with the performer rpm wich is the same one I have on my way more radical other s10 and I have been very happy with it.
Eric
Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32
Well I know someone would say you kind of answered your own question but the rpm performer I am guessing it would give me a little more horsepower from 4000 to 5500 rpm. But I guess after of doing some more research I am going to go with the Edelbrock performer EPS intake wich will give me a little more torque then the performer and give me a little more hp.

As far as heads goes I was going to go with vortec but I don't like the lack extras with the vortec. If I bought a set of vortecs and got all the machine work done for guide plates and screw in rocker studs along with being able to put on double valve springs I would have over a thousand plus bucks and to me its not worth it.

I was dong to go with World S/R torquer but buying the heads bare and getting the valve train parts needed cost more then getting the world product sportsman II's with the entire set up for a roller cam and it comes with good quality guide plates, screw in rocker arm studs etc. It will cost me less that way then the other ways.

I know the intake ports area little big but it would not be much different wise then what the vortec's flow up to 500 lift. Thanks though guys for input all is welcome
Eric. i can see you are trying to navigate thru this based on published rpm ranges and other advertized stuff.

I have built and run these mild/moderate combos like you want to build.
350 flat tops with 64cc chambers
9.8 to 10.3:1 (not 9:1)
The sportsman II's + RPM manifold work great.
Vortecs work great too with a vortec rpm manifold. You can buy upgraded versions.( SDPC) or aftermarket versions (Enginequest EQ, GMPP bowtie vortec, RHS vortec 906) All these work best with a RPM manifold.
The cam you choose is fine for either.
Any/all of the low rise manifolds make less power and torque.
The RPM type manifold does not give up low rpm power to a low rise.
The only advantage a low rise has is low hood clearance. The RPM will fit under a low hood with the correct air cleaner. It (low rise) makes less power and does not have as good cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution as the RPM.

if you are on a budget and have to make a choice, put the money into the better/upgraded heads, not the Hyd roller cam.
If you are on a budget a hyd flat tappet Comp XE262cam or a Crane H278-2 cam #113801 both with a 1.6-1.5 split ratio rocker set will give equal performance to the XE270 Hyd roller.
Use a 750cfm carb. The 600 makes a lot less power. The 750 is just as responsive (or better).

There is no reason to compromise. Unless you want to wimp out and go slower than you could. The advertized rpm ranges are deceiving and will throw you off. The RPM hi rise type dual plane manifold (Edelbrock/Holley/Weiand/Pro Products) is the best of the bunch by far.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 02-10-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Hello Fbird thanks for the info I did not know that about the intake manifolds. I am going to go roller cause I already have that in my budget. I have yet to get the world heads but I am going to get them next month after I get my block here in a few weeks. I am just going to go with the sportsman II heads assembled with the roller setup. I just don't want the hassle with the flat tappet cams and I have the roller provision with the gm block anyways for just a little bit more. I had the sportsman II heads on a previous build and I loved them. Just wish I did not get rid of the heads I could have used them now. Thanks for all your help I will definitely get the rpm performer intake.

Take care
Eric
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM

Hello Eric. I have a 355 in my 84 Monte Carlo and it is making well over 500hp with the following parts: Ross 10.5:1 pop-up pistons, Pro Comp 190cc intake heads w/64cc chambers, Comp Cams 292 cam, Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake, Holley 750 Double Pumper, Mallory distributor & coil, Hooker Competition Headers, 3.73:1 posi rear end and a B&M 3200 Stahl Converter. Runs on 91 octane pump gas. This combo is guaranteed to put you back in your seat. I hope this helps out.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Yeah thanks for the reply. I bet your engine runs really nice. I have went with the edelbrock rpm but since changed to the edelbrock eps intake because of it being tuned to get your peak horsepower around 3500 rpm. I compared it to the edelbrock rpm and it's about basically the same thing.

It is the same height as it is. I thought I had a fuel delivery issue with my performer rpm and I wanted something to give me a lower peak torque curve to go with my smaller cam I went too and the eps is marketed as such but really I don't know the difference between the two.

To me they are basically the same intake just maybe a little difference in the inner intake tunnels. Just having some issues with my stupid motor and trying to find out a stupid miss that is getting worse and whats causing it. That is a complete other post.
Eric
Old 10-20-2010, 05:07 PM

I think you would see a big improvement if you went 1 more step up with your cam (next larger cam) and the victor jr. intake. It would make a pretty big difference and it should work well with the heads you are using.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Nah I don't need anything bigger then what I have for an everyday driver. My 96 s10 is plenty fast and good with the setup I have with it now. I have a way more aggressive performance motor in my 86 s10 with about 100 more ponies under the hood.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.