Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam

I'm looking at buying a new cam for my 400 sbc and think the Performer RPM would be a good match with my set-up. The only concern I have is that Edelbrock states to not use their cam with double valve springs or different than stock ratio rocker arms... both of which I'm currently running. I can't recall off hand the double valve springs I'm running but the rocker arms are Cower 1.5 and 1.6 roller tip rockers. I don't plan on changing either of these components

So the $169.00 question is: Should I run the cam or is this going to cause the issues Edelbrock warns of (lobe flattening with debris going through the engine)?

Thanks for the help!

(BTW: I'm currently running a Summit brand hydraulic cam... with no issues other than where the power band is)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchildau65
I don't plan on changing either of these components
You can poke a bear with a stick for only so long, then the bear's gonna hurt ya.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Look at the specs of the Edelbrock cam. Now, look at the specs of Summit`s cam lines, look familiar? I would go with a cam from Isky Or Comp.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM

Here's the same cam with lifters, matching springs, seals, keepers, and cam lube for $165. (This is on a 112LC, they also have the same grind on a 106LC)

http://www.competitionproducts.com/E...ctinfo/E1067K/

As for the non-stock rocker ratios and double springs... that's your call. I've never had a problem with those items and cam break in but it could just be an install away for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
You can poke a bear with a stick for only so long, then the bear's gonna hurt ya.
So insightful... thanks for the help!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM

i actually just bought the edelbrock 2102 cam and lifter set. it seems to be working very nicely very lumpy. doesnt like to idle too much when cold tho.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, I guess the big question I was wondering is if Edelbrock is just trying to sell additional items (such as the valve springs they reference) or if their cam material / heat treatment were truly different then the rest.

Ultimately, I'm looking for power from ~1K to 6K and felt the Performer RPM was pretty close to this... plus my performer RPM intake and 1407 carb should compliment it pretty well. (The current Summit cam I have makes power between 3k and 6.5k, which isn't bad but I'm looking for something with a broader power band that starts sooner).
Old 04-26-2011, 09:18 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

If you don't listen to them the cam will go flat.

`
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
So insightful... thanks for the help!
I'm pretty sure you had a sneer on your face when you wrote this. All I'm saying is that you had better pay attention to what the cam grinder wants or you're gonna be cleaning mush out of the oil pan.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

To follow up with what Inspector said, why in the world would you go against the recommendation of the cam manufacturer? You have heard of the Edelbrock Total Power Packages, haven't you? Only been out for 25 years. They match up everything you need to achieve the power level you want. But, hey, do what you want. It's your engine. Just depends if you want to keep it running or not. Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted, FNG. No reason to sneer at what one of the most respected members on this board posted in response.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I have the full RPM package in my ride and I'm way over 13k miles now. I ran it briefly with a single 750 carb on an AirGap manifold and now have a solid 6-71 blower with 2 750's. It will run up to 6000 rpm so easy it is frightening. I do use a 1.5 roller rocker arm but so does Ed.

I see no reason to use any other springs especially stiffer and no reason at all to run any other ratio than the 1.5 rocker arms. Do use a quality set however.

You have to understand that Ed has a huge engineering program and this well proven combination has been around for years. Plain and simple .....it works. They have probably worn out more dyno mules testing and developing this combo than most of us have had motors in a life time. I love to ask these questions..... Who are you to change this combo for the better??? How will you prove it?? Let's see your data. If you are going to stick different parts into this you are entering the unknown. When it fails you have no choice but to come back with this.. haha

If you have to toss some parts to get reliability so be it. With today's oil situation I would never go against the mfg recommendations when it comes to valve train.

This a street package and works extremely well when used as designed. The simple way is to call ED and spend a few minutes with them. If they say ok well they probably have already tested it or have a good reason to say no.

Please don't get offended if some of us are blunt and to the point. Most of us have done some really dumb things but we have learned from the mistakes. We are really trying to help out and save others from real heart aches.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I'm pretty sure you had a sneer on your face when you wrote this. All I'm saying is that you had better pay attention to what the cam grinder wants or you're gonna be cleaning mush out of the oil pan.
I was expecting a little more quality of a reply (like the second one you sent) especially if you're, "one of the most respected members of the board".

I understand what everyone is saying, hence me asking for advice prior to simply buying and installing what appears to be a valid manufacturing statement. My intent was to validate Edelbrock's claim... statements like these are made all the time to influence people into buying more "name brand" products.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 AM

I'll try and get through to their tech department today to see what their reasoning is. My assumption is that if the statement is true, then the lobes aren't case hardened deep enough to accept the force of the double springs.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The reality is that Edelbrock is using that statement as an out in cases where a cam may go flat. If the pressures and rates are the same then whether or not the springs are single or double really doesn’t matter. Howards Cams sells a stock diameter single spring with a rate of 425# per inch which is higher than many double springs. Pressures for double springs are all over the map and yes some are high enough to flatten a cam. In your case you really need to find out what spring pressures your current setup has then match it up to Edelbrocks requirements. One advantage you have is that your springs have probably relaxed over time from use and aren't what they were when they were new.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
I'll try and get through to their tech department today to see what their reasoning is. My assumption is that if the statement is true, then the lobes aren't case hardened deep enough to accept the force of the double springs.

Using Edelbrock's tech support is like having the 6 year old neighbor kid perform brain surgery.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.