Edelbrock power pack in a 305 SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock power pack in a 305 SBC

I have a 305 SBC in my 86 T/A that i want to eventually swap out for a 350 or a 383 in the next year or so. I have my eyes on an Edelbrock Performer Power Package (intake, cam, lifters, and a carb), plus pushrods, roller rockers, and a new timing chain set. I got a price for theese parts on Jegs for about $800 before tax and gaskets and such, and from what i can tell they will work with a 350 SBC as well.

Is this an ok build up for a stock 305? anyone have comments or advice on edelbrock performer parts? Thanks

SPECS
Carb 600 CFM Edelbrock performer
Rod length 5.9"

CAM: Performer-Plus Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifters p/n 350-2103.

Duration Advertised: 288 Intake / 288 Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 214 Intake / 214 Exhaust
Valve Lift: .442'' Intake / .442'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 112
Open/Close @.050'' Cam Lift: Intake - 0 ATDC (opens) / 34 ABDC (closes)
Exhaust - 44 BBDC (opens) / 10 BTDC (closes)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Well, I'm a Ford guy, but....

The 305 is not a motor to make power up top. Because of the small bore and wedge heads, the valves are really shrouded. (See discussion above.) In the T/A they sound really awesome, but as you probably already know in reality they're dogs. They're really great driver motors for land barges, but not the motor of choice for performance. Any mods done to them should enhance the lower RPM range, I would think. Any attempt to make power up top is just going to kill any "performance" the engine has.

The 350 is way better for performance. I would wait until you have a 350 or 383 to drop in there myself. Slap that 305 into an old Caprice wagon or something.

Again, I'm a Ford guy, so take it with a grain of salt.

They made a 305 HO some years I believe, but I don't think it was really much of a "performance" engine. My Hot Rod Lincoln has humiliated several of these poser cars, despite weighing in at close to 4000 lbs.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:09 PM

I realize im not going to make very good numbers out of a 305 by bolting on parts, but im almost positive all those parts will bolt right up to a 350 as well. I was planning on buying a cheap crate 350 this summer, so if i get that i will have an almost new intake, carb, cam and roller rockers for it.

Also all the parts are designd to increase low end torque, so im not looking to build a screaming 305 or anything. I just want to make sure it will hold up with those parts, until i get a bigger motor.The car has about 270 000 KM on it and the motor was rebuilt about 60 000 KM (4 years) ago and runs just fine.

just making sure im going in the right direction, thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

I understan your trying to make some power now and then use your parts on your next build. the 305 will do just fine with those parts. I have waseted money on my own 305, but that is a diffrent story. Any who dont use the cam save that for the 350 or 383. you dont wont to reuse your cam.

Skeeter
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandAM
I have a 305 SBC in my 86 T/A that i want to eventually swap out for a 350 or a 383 in the next year or so. I have my eyes on an Edelbrock Performer Power Package (intake, cam, lifters, and a carb), plus pushrods, roller rockers, and a new timing chain set. I got a price for theese parts on Jegs for about $800 before tax and gaskets and such, and from what i can tell they will work with a 350 SBC as well.

Is this an ok build up for a stock 305? anyone have comments or advice on edelbrock performer parts? Thanks

SPECS
Carb 600 CFM Edelbrock performer
Rod length 5.9"

CAM: Performer-Plus Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifters p/n 350-2103.

Duration Advertised: 288? Intake / 288? Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 214? Intake / 214? Exhaust
Valve Lift: .442'' Intake / .442'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 112?
Open/Close @.050'' Cam Lift: Intake - 0? ATDC (opens) / 34? ABDC (closes)
Exhaust - 44? BBDC (opens) / 10? BTDC (closes)
This is fine package for a 350 or 383, it just by the time you get it there after putting into your 305, it's a bunch of used parts.

The 305 will do well also with this selection. The heads lack valve size and port volume so they really respond to a longer duration cam that keeps the valve open longer. In a situation where the port or valve maxes out at moderately high RPM's (4000-4500) there is great benefit to more duration as opposed to more lift. This is actually a place where older muscle car profiles such as many of those sold by Elgin and Howards come into their own as these tend to run a lot of duration and moderate lifts. Back in the 1960s this was done to hold wear and tear on the valve train to warranty-able levels. Today these profiles are exactly what port and valve limited smaller V8s need.

This cam should push the 305 toward 280-290 hp with good vacuum and decent idle from the 112 degree LSA.

Bogie
Old 02-04-2009, 01:22 PM

If you wanted to retain the stock engine to the car you could always stroke it....pushing the 350 horse envelope easy...power house products out of california sells a complete balanced 305 chevy stroker kit for the same coin your going to buy the edelbrock gear for...plus you still have to buy a 350 and have the thing rebuilt then buy you gear and install valvetrain.....get a decent set of stock used 64cc heads....buy the stroker kit....tear the tires of your t/a..good luck and hope you find your medium.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.