Hot Rod Forum banner

edelbrock power package

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  layinitdown 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anybody has seen those edlebrock power packages on the edelbrock website? the idea looks simple enough, tell'em what engine and carb config you got and they tell you what heads,cam,intake,carb,etc. you would work nice together. so i clicked on 283-400 Q-Jet (i have 74' 350 LT-1) and it lists a some nice aluminum heads a good looking cam and a fairly stock looking intake. but heres the thing its showing me an 850cfm performer Q-Jet carb. isn't that a bit hmm.... HUGE?

Part#
Heads- 60719(70cc)/60739(70cc)/60899(64cc)
Intake- 7104
Carb- 1910
Cam kit- 7102

thanks guys.

#4 ·
Thanks BBB... Sorry about the language... I couldn't help myself.

NOW... Let's answer this guys questions...
The Edelbrock packages are an excellant choice for a good performing street small block. The Performer Q-Jet, even an 850cfm will work very well on your motor. The small primaries will improve throttle response on the lowend and even help you out with some mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it :mwink: ) and, the way these carbs work, it will only draw what the motor needs, so you really aren't over carbing the combo. The 850 is only garaunteeing you don't run out of carb up top... It's a good package, go for it.
Sorry about the sidetracking...
Mark

#6 ·
I am surprised they recommend that much carb. Companies are usually playing it safe now and lowballing their carb figures. That way when the customer tries their combos it had more seat of the pants feel. If you were to use a smaller carb you would feel more pull upon intial acceleration. You would lose some power however, elsewhere. Go with the 850 if that is what is recommended.

#7 ·
Many of these combos have been dyno tested by Edelbrock on various engines and the results are on their web site (I think you click on the specified manifold to see them). They might have your particular set up on your particular motor and the power curve will give you a pretty good idea of what happens with that carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.