Hot Rod Forum banner

Edelbrock Q-jet

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I'm getting some parts together for a mildly built 500" Cadillac. The Q-jet carb that came with the engine is LOADED with smog junk. I don't know if I should strip it and rebuild it or sell it and buy a practically new Edelbrock 795 cfm Q-jet that I found for $175. I really like the Q-jet, once dialed in you can't beat the economy and performance.....Anyone have any experience with the Edelbrock version?...I don't think they offer them anymore.

#2 ·
Summit has their own line of Q-jets and also sells Jet Q-jets.

Before I would spend the $175 on an unknown carb, I would definitely rebuild the Caddy carb.

Underneath it all, the same carb is there to work with and it will already be very close as to calibrations. I would go as far as to say the Cad carb is the better choice- even w/a worn out primary throttle shaft bore that would need fixing, rather than swapping for the Edelbrock Q-jet.

Hopefully the throttle plate won't be too worn and all that will be needed is the usual going through they all need.

#4 ·
All that's required are the choke pull-off(s) for the secondary operation and to unload the choke. The preferred way of doing things is to just use one primary (front) pull-off to do both the choke and secondary modulation.

If it has the solenoid for increasing the idle for A/C. or an anti-diesel solenoid, that can go. I would want to see a couple photos of the carb to know for sure what type of secondary unloader it has (IF it has one) as well as the other garbage that may be present that could go.

Hopefully it doesn't have any of the one-off weird stuff GM tried through the years like the anaerobic chamber, auxiliary power pistons, etc.

Usually '76-'77-up Q-jets are the better carbs to work with, having adjustable part throttle capability but any of them can work well, they just require different things to get them sorted out. One of the very best Q-jets I've owned came originally on a '74 Caddy.

#5 ·
Ok thats good news...this stock Q-jet looks like it came out of the space capsule with all the sh-- hung on it. For some reason I can't post pics on this forum, tried a bunch of times. If I could I'll send you some pics if you pm me with your email address....or you One More Time, then you can post them.

By the way, how do you like your 472 Cad, is it up and running yet?

#6 ·
327NUT said:
For some reason I can't post pics on this forum, tried a bunch of times.
Post the photos to the Photo Gallery. Then you can put them into a post using the "Insert Image" icon, inside the Message Box just above where you type the post.

If you post them as a thumbnail using the "Manage Attachments", they can't be larger than a certain size or they won't upload.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.