edelbrock rpm performer heads 350 vs 383 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well for.me now.i.leave my heads to.the pros most people that do a at home.porting job mess the head up.and just never know.because its not going be on flowbench I have read and study and tried to home port I took heads had them flowed before and after with couple sets of heads that didnt matter both I didnt improve enough to waste my time with all the work I have always seen big improvements with the pros but even then I buy the head for the job that they going be used for but for a mile 383 heads should be fine if the springs vavle guides and everything in good shape.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontdrivericeieatit View Post
Well for.me now.i.leave my heads to.the pros most people that do a at home.porting job mess the head up.and just never know.because its not going be on flowbench I have read and study and tried to home port I took heads had them flowed before and after with couple sets of heads that didnt matter both I didnt improve enough to waste my time with all the work I have always seen big improvements with the pros but even then I buy the head for the job that they going be used for but for a mile 383 heads should be fine if the springs vavle guides and everything in good shape.
Ahmen!

I am great at port work had a flow bench to play with for a while its not easy to make more power on heads that are not messed up from factory poor casting methods. I can do all the work myslef and I may touch a head every now and then if I see something that is not going to work. But for the most part I do not do any port work. Design work yeah but no cutting by hand anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to hcompton For This Useful Post:
idontdrivericeieatit (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Yea but most think I have a grinder lets just cut on this head it must help.and most are wrong and dont go cutting on a head if you cant afford to replace it you never know but for this topic I agree the rpm head is plenty for a mild 400 hp 383 as long as its in good shape but I have found its cheaper in the end to buy the head for the job then to make a head work when it dosent want to I have built more than my fair share just my two cents though
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontdrivericeieatit View Post
Yea but most think I have a grinder lets just cut on this head it must help.and most are wrong and dont go cutting on a head if you cant afford to replace it you never know but for this topic I agree the rpm head is plenty for a mild 400 hp 383 as long as its in good shape but I have found its cheaper in the end to buy the head for the job then to make a head work when it dosent want to I have built more than my fair share just my two cents though
Of course and its a simple fact you only get a few ponies after hours of work. You cant get a cheap 175 cc head port it and make it flow like a 210cc head. Usally its require metal to be added and the shape changed to flow more. This why buying castings in the larger cc is only option unless your racing and can live with puttied up head. Now an 87 ford head with a 1/2 tall casting bump in the exhuast port go ahead and clean it up but dont think going any further is going to net power like removing a large blockage.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM

Yes I totaly agree with that if its factory head I have.no problem clean them up. And dont take more than they need to just not aftermarket heads

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.