Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Edelbrock secondary throttle spring install (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/edelbrock-secondary-throttle-spring-install-228481.html)

GMR 01-16-2013 08:51 PM

Edelbrock secondary throttle spring install

Have totally rebuilt a pair of 1404 carbs including removing/cleaning throttle shafts and replacing throttle plate screws (with help from this forum). Had some difficulty with the primary shaft linkage spring install but eventually got it.

The secondary shaft spring is another story. Anyone have a method of getting it on and wound tight enough correctly. I checked the wiki but didn't find any help there.

RWENUTS 01-17-2013 07:20 AM

A pic might help jog the memory!!

cobalt327 01-17-2013 08:12 AM

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...dium/CARB4.jpg

GMR 01-17-2013 08:36 AM

Thanks Cobalt27 for the picture. I have the front spring on. I didn't wind it, I don't think I could either. I just placed it on the the shaft and pulled it with pliers and a screwdriver into place. I have it on, oriented correctly, but not sure if the tension is correct. It didn't go on easily. I think it's right.

The bottom spring (secondary throttle) is what I am working on now. When you work the throttle shafts to WOT the 2 shafts and their plates do not snap back like they should. I know the orientation of the spring but not how to get the correct tension. I've tried to wind it by pulling on the hooked part that goes arount the linkage arm but I think I'm going to ruin the spring that way.

cobalt327 01-17-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMR (Post 1635871)
Thanks Cobalt27 for the picture. I have the front spring on. I didn't wind it, I don't think I could either. I just placed it on the the shaft and pulled it with pliers and a screwdriver into place. I have it on, oriented correctly, but not sure if the tension is correct. It didn't go on easily. I think it's right.

The bottom spring (secondary throttle) is what I am working on now. When you work the throttle shafts to WOT the 2 shafts and their plates do not snap back like they should. I know the orientation of the spring but not how to get the correct tension. I've tried to wind it by pulling on the hooked part that goes arount the linkage arm but I think I'm going to ruin the spring that way.

Have you loosened the throttle blades to center them in the bores? It can take several attempts to get them centered w/o friction.

If the spring's correct, it won't look bunched up; it'll be nice and even, like the photo shows. If you wind in more tension, the coil starts to distort.

If the secondary blade alignment is a problem, if you loosen the blades a touch, and if the spring's on right and the tension's right, it should snap back correctly. Unless the spring's sprung.

Does the primary side snap back right? What happens if you disconnect the primaries from the secondaries?

GMR 01-17-2013 11:38 AM

I don't detect any binding. If I operate the primaries alone they seem ok to me in snapping back. When I operate primary and secondary to wot, it seems the primary is trying to help push the secondary closed when I let go. If I don't attempt to wind the secondary spring at all, it is loose, has no tension at all and both shafts hang open in my example above. If I operate the secondary alone it just hangs open when I let go. I tried to wind it once, and that helped, but not enough.

Should I have to wind the spring in the first place or should it automatically have the proper tension when I just slip it on?

GMR 01-17-2013 11:49 AM

Just called Edelbrock - they chastised me for removing the shafts and blades and said the only way to get another spring is off an old carb.