Edelbrock sp2-p on 283 chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Edelbrock sp2-p on 283 chevy

Hey Guys,

Just want to do an input and opinion post on the little port edelbrock manifold on a 283. Everyone seems to think this manifold is junk for performance, but the 283 is a tiny little mite of a cylinder to fill so I am thinking it might work nicely. The engine is unknown compression and cam, but it runs on 87 octance just fine so we can assume fairly low cylinder pressure. Numbers suggest it a 220HP factory engine, but I dont know if it is still factory parts inside. Right now it has a edelbrock carb with performer intake and it is just a dog off idle.

My thoughts are that the small port manifold would be a welcome change on this little engine.

The car is a 3200lb chevelle soon to get 200R4. Goal is good throttle responce and good mileage for long cruises with the family.

Thoughts??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

As you mentioned the intake is indeed on the small side but it`s whole purpose was to build low end torque through high velocity and the small runners build velocity quickly. This small runner intake should work nicely on a small cube 283 and give it better off idle torque, it won`t have any top end, but that`s to be expected. Also make sure the vac advance is connected to a manifold source, if it`s connected to a ported this can cause sluggish low end as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS10
My thoughts are that the small port manifold would be a welcome change on this little engine.

The car is a 3200lb chevelle soon to get 200R4. Goal is good throttle responce and good mileage for long cruises with the family.

Thoughts??
It will improve low end response and mileage over the Performer on the 283 but it will limit your mid-range and top end. Never ran one on a 283 but on my 350 Monte and my present 318 D150 they hit the wall at 4,000 RPM, you'll probably be able to pull 4,500 or so with the 283. Off idle and low speed repsonse is great though.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

W/the 2004R tranny, you can go to a short rear gear to pick up off-idle acceleration. Even w/a 4.11, in OD it's pulling a 2.8 range final ratio.

That gives you a first gear ratio of 11.26:1.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

A 350 versus a 283 is a 20% difference in displacement so I have to think that should equate to a 20% increase in max RPM to around 5000. That would be just fine cause the cam is done by then anyway. Considering efficiency and RPM/air consumption drops in higher RPM range this number could be a little more. I think that parts matched well is always better so I hope it will work nicely.

I was just reading the timing thread because I have been wrestling with that and tuning an edlebrock carb. I have an off idle lean condition not caused by the accelerator pump and a horrific stumble....pop....stumble. I tryed manifold vaccum and it is worse. I think this is due to the initial drop in vaccum off idle. It is also loading up at idle and is just a wreck. Tuned the idle circuit...I think...so we will see how that works.

I am going to pull the top off the carb and clean everything when I change the intake as well as increasing stepup spring tension to try to keep it richer at part throttle.

It is a mess right now, but I am working through it.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
W/the 2004R tranny, you can go to a short rear gear to pick up off-idle acceleration. Even w/a 4.11, in OD it's pulling a 2.8 range final ratio.

That gives you a first gear ratio of 11.26:1.
Yeah, and that should be a far cry better than the PG it has now. Not sure on the rear gears, but they are fairly low now. It has a "hot rod" tranny with hard drop in, hard shifts, and early shifts(for manual shifting). Pretty sure it was a semi-hotrod at some time, retired, engine pulled, and mild 283 with hodge podge parts installed. Like I said, lots of stuff is a wreck, but I am working through it.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Yeah, and that should be a far cry better than the PG it has now. Not sure on the rear gears, but they are fairly low now. It has a "hot rod" tranny with hard drop in, hard shifts, and early shifts(for manual shifting). Pretty sure it was a semi-hotrod at some time, retired, engine pulled, and mild 283 with hodge podge parts installed. Like I said, lots of stuff is a wreck, but I am working through it.
Edelbrock has their instructions for tuning their carbs online, HERE is some instructions that may help you.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

I liked the Weiand Part number 3000 allot better than the Edelbrock. Allot better casting, and less intrusions in the runners to disrupt airflow. Dan

Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/sh.../cat/500/page/
Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Edelbrock has their instructions for tuning their carbs online, HERE is some instructions that may help you.
Yeah, I found that. I also looked at the numbers(for the first time I have to admit) and it is a 750cfm 1407. I am going to start watching for something smaller cause I just dont think I will get great performance out of a carb this big and an intake this small.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Dan
I liked the Weiand Part number 3000 allot better than the Edelbrock. Allot better casting, and less intrusions in the runners to disrupt airflow. Dan

Looks like it has a smaller plenum too. Unless you're married to that Edelbrock the Holley R-8007 390cfm 4160 would be an excellent carb for your application. Just replaced the 500 Edelbrock on my Stude 289 with one and I love it.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`d use a Quadrajet, the small primaries make for excellant low end response.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Sounds Like A Sleeper To Me

Hey TS10, Sounds like a sleeper combo.I know a fellow who upgraded an airboat 283 from a two barrel to the SP2P and a quadrajet. He described the power change as really good. Maybe on anything bigger than a 283 it might be a turd, but it seems to be what the old 283 is looking for. olnolan
Old 07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I`d use a Quadrajet, the small primaries make for excellant low end response.
I have an 80's Qjet on the self in my shop. However, I have to be very honest and say I have no idea how to tune one. It looks like new and came from a running truck where the guy just wanted to "upgrade". Any quick tips on what to get or not get or what to look for.

As for the 390cfm Holley, I was thinking something around that range might work really nice for responce. I am afraid 390 is a tad small, and was thinking in the 450 range might be a better match.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
I have an 80's Qjet on the self in my shop. However, I have to be very honest and say I have no idea how to tune one. It looks like new and came from a running truck where the guy just wanted to "upgrade".
As long as it's not a "feedback" carb w/two electrical connections on top, it might work w/o modification- if it was me, I'd want to give that bad boy a try, at least.

The accelerator pump might have dried out but if it's allowed to sit in the full carb, it will usually return to normal. If the primary throttle shaft is badly worn, the idle may be erratic.

There is a filter located in the fuel inlet. If it's been removed, be sure you use an inline filter.

There are external adjustments for accelerator pump volume, secondary air valve actuation, secondary metering rods and hangar, adjustable part throttle power valve setting (this is under that small, aluminum plug in the front area of the air horn- it's hard to get out the first time, but can be done w/the carb assembled if you're careful), curb idle speed, choke/fast idle speed and idle mixture.

Everything else is internal, and will require a rebuild kit (mainly for the gaskets that get torn in the disassembly process) to perform any additional mods to the carb like primary needles and jets, power valve spring, any changes to orifice sizes, float level, needle valve and seat size, etc.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.