Edelbrock square bore to spread bore - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock square bore to spread bore

Hey guys i just bought an Edelbrock 1406 and im putting it on my 2101 Edelbrock Performer intake. Will I need an adapter to get the square bore carb to seal right on the intake?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

This will do the trick: www.summitracing.com put this number in search:SUM-G1420 only $6
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

This will work, BUT, the picture of the carb you show above is a spreadbore(secondaries are bigger than the primaries.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1420/?rtype=10

Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

ohhh x) so do i just use the gasket that came with the carb "square gasket like in the pic u linked" on my intake and im good to go? Or do i need a gasket thats shaped like the openings on my intake manifold?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

If you bought a new 1406, you will need the adapter set I posted above.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

You could just use plain old logic and line up the gasket on the bottom of the carb and see if the secondary throttle blades hit the gasket edge when you open the throttle all the way.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
This will work, BUT, the picture of the carb you show above is a spreadbore(secondaries are bigger than the primaries.)
That is still considered a squarebore as the center to center bore spacing between the primaries and secondaries is the same regardless of the throttle bore sizes. A true spreadbore has a different center to center bore spacing with the secondaries being considerably farther apart. A 4360 Holley has equal sized primary and secondary throttle bores but the secondaries are much farther apart making it a spreadbore.

I'd use the "adapter" you listed to make sure it seals though, Performer intakes come with one new but they always seem to get lost.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

ah right on thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Hey guys i was just reading up on the gaskets and I read something pretty interesting. Check this out...

A V-8 engine fires a cylinder every 90 degrees of crank rotation, and the induction cycle of any given cylinder will greatly overlap the induction cycle of the next cylinder in the firing order. The two-plane design isolates each side of the manifold and connects the cylinders in a sequence in which each isolated plenum is connected to every other cylinder in the firing order. Plumbed as such, each side "sees" only every other firing pulse. Rather than having overlapping intake pulses coming into the plenum every 90 degrees as with a single-plane, each side of a dual-plane gets a much cleaner induction pulse every 180 degrees of crank rotation. That's why a dual-plane intake is often referred to as a 180-degree manifold. With the induction pulses coming into the carb every 180 degrees (or actually only one-half of the carb in a divided plenum two-plane), the induction pulse seen at the carb is greatly enhanced, especially at low air speed. This translates to further improved lower-rpm carb booster function and atomization, resulting in better low-end output, enhanced drivability, and economy.

Perhaps the greatest benefit to lower rpm and part-throttle operation with the 180-degree design is that it also largely separates the communication of the induction pulse from the exhaust system. With a single-plane, the wide-open intake valve of a cylinder at peak piston speed on the intake stroke is communicated directly into the plenum, as it should be. At the same time, another cylinder in the overlap phase is also open to the same plenum. At low speed, especially with high-overlap cams, and most acutely at part throttle, this tends to draw exhaust gasses into the cylinder in the overlap phase. This reversion causes rougher low-rpm running and a penalty in torque production until the air speed and overlap tuning effect overcomes the tendency towards reversion at higher rpm. With the 180-degree system, this pathway is greatly reduced, improving idle quality, vacuum, and part-throttle responsiveness.
Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...#ixzz1T0ITAb00

So an open square gasket wouldnt seal up the center divider on my duel plane manifold and it would lose those perks it gets from being a duel plane right? Im thinking im gonna get this and trim off any that overlaps into the intakes ports and see how it works.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

looks like a direct fit to me.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

The rear butterflies are bigger but it's still considered a square bore carb. Have a look at a qjet.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITAR1989
Hey guys i was just reading up on the gaskets and I read something pretty interesting. Check this out...

A V-8 engine fires a cylinder every 90 degrees of crank rotation, and the induction cycle of any given cylinder will greatly overlap the induction cycle of the next cylinder in the firing order. The two-plane design isolates each side of the manifold and connects the cylinders in a sequence in which each isolated plenum is connected to every other cylinder in the firing order. Plumbed as such, each side "sees" only every other firing pulse. Rather than having overlapping intake pulses coming into the plenum every 90 degrees as with a single-plane, each side of a dual-plane gets a much cleaner induction pulse every 180 degrees of crank rotation. That's why a dual-plane intake is often referred to as a 180-degree manifold. With the induction pulses coming into the carb every 180 degrees (or actually only one-half of the carb in a divided plenum two-plane), the induction pulse seen at the carb is greatly enhanced, especially at low air speed. This translates to further improved lower-rpm carb booster function and atomization, resulting in better low-end output, enhanced drivability, and economy.

Perhaps the greatest benefit to lower rpm and part-throttle operation with the 180-degree design is that it also largely separates the communication of the induction pulse from the exhaust system. With a single-plane, the wide-open intake valve of a cylinder at peak piston speed on the intake stroke is communicated directly into the plenum, as it should be. At the same time, another cylinder in the overlap phase is also open to the same plenum. At low speed, especially with high-overlap cams, and most acutely at part throttle, this tends to draw exhaust gasses into the cylinder in the overlap phase. This reversion causes rougher low-rpm running and a penalty in torque production until the air speed and overlap tuning effect overcomes the tendency towards reversion at higher rpm. With the 180-degree system, this pathway is greatly reduced, improving idle quality, vacuum, and part-throttle responsiveness.
Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...#ixzz1T0ITAb00

So an open square gasket wouldnt seal up the center divider on my duel plane manifold and it would lose those perks it gets from being a duel plane right? Im thinking im gonna get this and trim off any that overlaps into the intakes ports and see how it works.

Take a look at the Air Gap manifold. The divider has been cut down. Best of both worlds, or compromise?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Hmmm so i went to my local parts store and bought a square bore to spread bore Performer Series carburetor adapter plate for Edelbrock manifolds. Well I just read that this adapter plate works on all all manifolds except two models and one happens to be the one i have Im going to call Edelbrock tomarrow and ask them what i should use. Just figured id update you.
Heres the part i bought btw http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=859488
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

That intake is machined to accept BOTH styles of carbs. No restrictive adapter is needed.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM
Guitars & Cars >8D

Last photo:

Yeah the Edelbrock rep said the gasket that came with the carb would do fine so i got the adapter and turned out not needing it I put the gasket on but im having another problem with the carb now. Its starting up pretty harsh. Im pretty sure its vapor lock so Im going to slap on one of the Edelbrock insulator gaskets and see If that solves the problem

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.