Edelbrock stumble? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock stumble?

I have an Edelbrock 600 carb that's about 4 years old. I get a slight stumble when I take off and sometimes when you increase the throttle from a cruise speed. I notice a little moisture around the accelerator pump rod but not a lot. I have disconnected the choke and wired it open just to see if the choke had anything to do with it. There was no change. The timing is right on and the engine has only 10,000 miles on it form a complete rebuild. I replaced the carb base gasket also and there are no vacume leaks. When I look inside the carb and touch the throttle it looks like I get a positive spray. Does it still sound like the accelerator pump could be the problem or should I turf the Edelbrock and go for the 670 Holley Street Avenger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Check to see if it sprays the very instant you move the throttle, if not you found the problem. Try several quick sprays also to see what happens at different throttle positions, this will tell you if the accelerator pump is leaking and not giving the charge it should. it also could be the pump shot isn`t big enough.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

Thank you
Old 10-02-2004, 03:40 AM

I'm not familiar with the Edelbrock carb but I am familiar with this problem on a Holley so it may be of use. The slight stall as you accelerate is normally due to the size of the accelerator pump shooter. For the Holley the best way to find out what size it should be is to attach a vacumn guage to the inlet manifold and check the vacumn at idle. The reading in mm of mercury should correspond to the size of the hole in the accelerator pump shooter. If it's possible to change the shooter in the Edelbrock I would recommend this as a relatively cheap starting point.
Good luck.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks but the Holley Street Avenger I bought was from a company out of New York. They take brand new Holley carbs and rework them to remove that stumble. I haven't put the new carb on yet to try it (fingers crossed) Just in the last week I have talked to 4 guys around my area that run the 600 Edelbrock and they all have the same problem. HEY EDELBROCK SMARTIN UP and build them with some quality control or loose sales.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Hey I just cured that problem...........lol on a new 800 EPS

Turned out the float bowl on the pump side was low after fitting offroad neadle and seats.
Another prob is if your engine aint flat mounted like mine, all the fuel tends to run away from the pump well.Setting the floats a tad higher fixed my prob

Doublevision is spot on!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western star
Thanks but the Holley Street Avenger I bought was from a company out of New York. They take brand new Holley carbs and rework them to remove that stumble. I haven't put the new carb on yet to try it (fingers crossed) Just in the last week I have talked to 4 guys around my area that run the 600 Edelbrock and they all have the same problem. HEY EDELBROCK SMARTIN UP and build them with some quality control or loose sales.
Couldn't you say the same to Holley .. Especially if there is a company out there that fix's Holley's stumble problem on brand new carbs?? I have both these carbs (600 and the SA 670) the Edelbrock hesitates on quick throttle movements but at least its reliable.. the Holley 670 is just a complete nightmare. Avoid that carb like the plague.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There is one thing that can turn a nicely running Edelbrock Performer carb into a POS - and that is few specks of dirt. I've had several of these carbs, really like 'em until they turn nasty. They come apart real easy, then get cleaned out with some carb cleaner, a few blasts of compressed air then they go back to being the carb you knew before . Add a really good filter and off you go for another few years.

Dave W
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This thread is 4 years old.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Holy S@#$ someone resurrected an ancient one and got me again
Old 08-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Hey, I have been seeing the E10 corroding the bottom of the floats and divider plates in the Edelbrocks. Also there seems to be a residue like fine dirt in the bottom of the float bowls from these stations selling E10 lately.
Anybody else noticed this?
Old 08-13-2008, 05:10 PM

About 10 years ago my high school shop teacher told us that gas leaves a tarnish on gas tank and lines and that ethanol could start to remove it (especially on older cars.. longer time to build up) possibly clogging fuel filters or what ever else. Maybe thats what you're seeing?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.