Edelbrock tunnel ram water leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Edelbrock tunnel ram water leak

Hi I am wondering if I am making a mistake, by taking off my dual quad performer intake, and installing a new edelbrock tunnel ram?
I went and let that picture of Edelbrocks chrome tunnel ram get me, it is really nice looking, but I have notest a few things and having a tiny problem and now wonder if I should put the performer intake back on?
Here's why, I noticed there is no water jackets in the tunnel ram intake, also I did not see the recommended silaconing if the tunnel ram intake bolts and now I have a water leak on the driver side front bolts, Also the carb linkage had to be changed from progressive to both doing the same thing with a straight rod between them. I am now wondering if I will have any over heating problems? I have a small block 400 with 12:1 compreson pistons, mild cam, no lope. it ran great with the performer intake. sence I installed the tunnel ram, ive had some problems getting it to start up good and run right.
I think I can get the tunnel ram to work, but I am concerned about street driving and the water jacket not in the tunnel ram intake? will this cause problems? I love that 600 dollar intake, it looks bad ***, but I am wondering if I should trade off looks for better performance?
Here is the tunnel ram I bought :Edelbrock 71101 Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram Intake Manifolds for Small Block Chevy
Any ideas? Gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM

You can make it work , search here & other places , there is lots of info. AFA water passage , there is 1 in the frt to feed the therm. like normal , no passage in the back is normal w/most manifolds.... leaky bolt , use some teflon thread sealer [not tape]. !:1 linkage is prefered for tunnel rams.

dave
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

leak'n

i used hi temp sil sealant on mine and no problems.. i also used a tunnel and now an airgap both with no center water passage. not a problem either..
Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

On the tunnel ram there is a cast boss for a water port atthe back near the distributor on the drivers side of the intake. It is there but not drilled and taped.
On a 400SBC it helps to connect this rear water port to the by pass on the top of the water pump.
Better cooling, better thermostat function. Cooler running 400 SBC.

The tunnel ram has long runners and a non heated carb plenum. It takes much longer for the engine to "warm up" with a tunnel ram. Give it time to warm up so some heat gets up in the manifold.
While it is warming up keep the rpm up to avoid cold engine misfire and spark plug fouling.

You may need to do some tuning on the carbs and probabily will need to play with the distributor timing curve
to best work with the tunnel ram. This manifold tends to like a lot of initial timing at idle.
A typical stock-default distributor curve rarely works well.

Remeber the long cold runners and plenum and give it time required to warm up before expecting
a good idle or throttle response. And do not allow it to idle slow when cold. Often a stock low stall torque converter and a tunnel ram are not a good match. Same with stock hiway gears. The tunnel ram likes to rev.

12:1 compression is a lot for a street car that runs on pump gas.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 04-10-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Tags
tunnel ram intake

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.