Edelbrock Victor Jr intake street manners - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here's another pic of the screw mod. Grind one side of the bolt flat. Keep trying it and grinding it until you get the advance band you need. I have my initial at 24* and about 14* of mechanical advance with the bolt flat to the threads on one side. Make sure the bolt is short enough not to interfere with the mechanism below it.

Here's mine from the side where you can see how long the bolt should be.

And here is another I found in another thread.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
AK427

Last photo:

Thanks, this is something on my 'to do' list for tomorrow
Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 AM
AK427

Last photo:

UPDATE: I've put a limit screw on the advance mechanism and have now set things up for 22* initial, 34* total all-in by 2500-3000rpm. Leaving the vac. can disconnected until I install an adjustable (which I have laying around).

I'm making 7.5" hg vacuum @ 950rpm idle... sound right?

I've read about the method of setting initial timing using a vac gauge... should I do that instead? I haven't tried yet, but if I advance it more (and put more limit on the mech. advance accordingly), I might be able to get better idle vacuum. I don't actually NEED anymore idle vacuum for anything, but would this be better for the motor? I was just following advice on here by setting the initial at 22* (was previously set at 14*).

Oh, the cam is a big-ish solid (248*/248* @ 0.050)

Last edited by v8hed; 07-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Get it up temp. and road test it. Find a good incline that you can climb in high gear and see if it pings at various throttle positions & rpm. Advance timing until it does, then back off about 2 degrees. IMO
ssmonty
Old 07-23-2011, 11:44 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Now that you have your base timing and mechanical adv setup I would leave it be. Setting timing with engine vac is a quick way of ball parking things. No need for this when you have a light IMO. and this method also works best with stock engines anyhow. It would be interesting though if you could try the base timing at 24-26 and check to see if the idle vacuum increases, i doubt it.\ try it. The carb mixture settings can effect eng vac as well.

What carb? if holley make sure the power valve is matched with engine vac and same for eddy but its the rod springs.

One test drive will not tell you if your base+mech is where it should be so leave it for a while and put some miles on.

Leave the vacuum gage on the manifold vacuum source and record the eng vac levels under all load conditions while driving including when downshifting to aid braking, then do it all over on ported vac and record those too.

Then install your vacuum can and test out the movement of the advance mechanism vs vacuum levels, use a vacuum pump and gage with the motor off and record the levels. Fire it up and and see how much timing is being added while using the vacuum pump on the can, record the level of advance compared to vac "wg, record that too. yeah information is power

Following up on the application of vacuum advance.

Most adjustable vacuum adv cans start to add advance at about 5" wg. That is with the set screw fully turned in CW. This is a list of adjustments on a crane type

All in CW the rod travel starts at approx 4.8"wg and ends at 10"wg vacuum

3 out CCW 5.2 start end 10.7
5 out CCW 5.8 start end 11.8
7 out CCW 6.8 start end 13
9 out CCW 7.3 start end 14
11 out CCW 7.3 start end 12
13 out CCW 8.0 start end 12

(ps i would advise against more than 11 turns out you can dislodge the set screw PITA)

With the cam you have the motor may never make enough vacuum to add all of the vacuum advance available in the distributor. You may see some vac adv at light cruise loads if the eng vac is high enough, you won't know till you go for a spin with the vacuum gage connected, but some is better than none. Chances are you will end up with the set screw all the way in and on ported vac so the vacuum advance is out at idle. The idle vacuum most likely is jumping around and this will cause havoc with timing at idle if on manifold source. Glad you were able to "screw" with your mech adv limit, your half way there.

Last edited by Custom10; 07-23-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM
AK427

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info.

Carb is a stock Holley 750DP... even the stock jets were perfect on the dyno. I'll do a forum search on power valve selection

Idle vacuum was fairly steady... it jumped around a bit, but only between 7 and 8" hg. I'll try adding some more initial to see if the vac goes up.

Thanks.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.