edelbrock vs. holley carb - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2004, 07:31 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

well i have done alot of reading on holley, edelbrock and now demon, and i like demon the best, quality, features, design, and they look awesome. originally i didn't think there even was a demon in my price range but it turns out there is. now i know i dont need anything over 600cfm for my 305, but since im gonna be putting in a bigger motor such as a 350, i wanna be able to use that carb and not have to buy a new one.

i like the 625cfm road demon, and the 575cfm and the 650cfm speed demon but the 650 is probly too much. there is $60 difference between the 625 road demon and the 575 and 650 speed demon. would it be better the go with the smaller 575 cfm with the speed demon or should i go with the 625 road demon?

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 08:39 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Cool

If you are going with a Demon, do not listen to the local speed shop guy or Summit tech guy. They might be very experienced and knowledgeable but it has been proven time and time again on this forum that Demons are a different animal and the fuel curve is very touchy concerning engine size, cam profile and timing. Call up Demon and go with their recommendation. Just as an example, their 650 Speed Demon flows more closely to a 750 Holley. Many guys buy a 750 Speed or Race Demon because they have always used a 750 Holley and wind up over-carbed.
Call Demon. They are nice guys and you will be very happy you did. I love my 650 Speed Demon on my 355 small block.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Dude, do you know that having somebody else pick out a carb for you is like having somebody pick a puppy for you?? I have had good experience with Edelbrock carbs. I have the Holley carbs for when I want to go racing.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

if you are building a decent 350 go with the 650 speed demon, jet it leaner than the sniffer says by a jet or 2 and your on your way. the edelbrocks might have a easy fuel inlet but they also have a small centeral bowl. demon and holley take more tuning but are better built carbs and are easier to tune. also more tunable. if you go for a holley go for one with out the transfer tube if you can get one the center hung floats work better it seems on single carb engines. theres nothing wrong with the common old 650 holley, they tend to be a lot cheaper than the street avengers. just as tuneable. dual metering blocks are handy too. just dont go for what ever is easiest for that reason go for what you feel is best. my .02 cents
Old 01-03-2004, 12:44 AM
BRB carring

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by cool rockin daddy
If you are going with a Demon, do not listen to the local speed shop guy or Summit tech guy. They might be very experienced and knowledgeable but it has been proven time and time again on this forum that Demons are a different animal and the fuel curve is very touchy concerning engine size, cam profile and timing. Call up Demon and go with their recommendation. Just as an example, their 650 Speed Demon flows more closely to a 750 Holley. Many guys buy a 750 Speed or Race Demon because they have always used a 750 Holley and wind up over-carbed.
Call Demon. They are nice guys and you will be very happy you did. I love my 650 Speed Demon on my 355 small block.
if i really can't decide what one than i will call, thanks for the suggestion. i know both the 625 road demon, and the 575 speed demon work well with my cam duration @.050 and cid. but im stuck between those 2.

Quote:
Originally posted by tm454
Dude, do you know that having somebody else pick out a carb for you is like having somebody pick a puppy for you?? I have had good experience with Edelbrock carbs. I have the Holley carbs for when I want to go racing.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

lol, im just gonna have to jump in and learn from my expierences. if i get the speed or road demon and i like either or, then great, if i don't then ill try another carb.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jared
if you are building a decent 350 go with the 650 speed demon, jet it leaner than the sniffer says by a jet or 2 and your on your way. the edelbrocks might have a easy fuel inlet but they also have a small centeral bowl. demon and holley take more tuning but are better built carbs and are easier to tune. also more tunable. if you go for a holley go for one with out the transfer tube if you can get one the center hung floats work better it seems on single carb engines. theres nothing wrong with the common old 650 holley, they tend to be a lot cheaper than the street avengers. just as tuneable. dual metering blocks are handy too. just dont go for what ever is easiest for that reason go for what you feel is best. my .02 cents

edelbrock is definately out of the question for me now, from what you guys have said the holleys and demons are not better but more tunable so i can tune it exactly for my engine. when i do my 350 i will definately go for the 650 speed demon. i think i am just gonna have to realize that the 305 and 350 are two different engines with totally different needs and one carb between the both just aint gonna cut it.

Last edited by Super Chevy; 01-03-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:40 AM

If you go with a speed demon,you will need to buy a fuel line and they are more like an aggressive Holley which is fine for some,but for these reasons, if its a daily driver,your not into tuning,you have fuel consumption concerns or you just want to bolt it on and go,look close at the road demons I spoke of earlier.they have single lie in with transfer tube and are basically a cleaned up Holley 600 vacuum secondary. I agree with cool rockin daddy fully,call demon.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:35 AM
BRB carring

Last photo:

i emailed them.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:53 AM

here's another .02 worth for you - look on ebay, there are carbs - a - plenty -- I only have basic carb knowledge and have found several holley's real cheap - my intention is to buy a few, take em apart and see what they're made of - I am looking at holley's b/c of their commonality of parts and kits

I figure by the time I rebuild 2 or 3 I should have a pretty good grasp on how all this works.... plus, I will then have a good carb for my car and a few to resell on ebay, once rebuilt.

I figure about $25 for a ratty carb, $25 for parts and a few bucks for some books. Rebuilt and cleaned up they should sell for $35 - $75 each.

I intend to focus on the 3310 / 4150 style carbs.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:07 PM
BRB carring

Last photo:

i emailed barry grant and told them my engine combination and what that performance differences between the road demon 625 and the speed demon 575 would be. this was their reply.

Andrew

On your combination the 575 Speed Demon with the annular style boosters it comes with would give you better throttle response, and acceleration on
your combination.

Thank you

Technical Support

so i think im gonna agree with them.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by paperairplane
here's another .02 worth for you - look on ebay, there are carbs - a - plenty -- I only have basic carb knowledge and have found several holley's real cheap - my intention is to buy a few, take em apart and see what they're made of - I am looking at holley's b/c of their commonality of parts and kits

I figure by the time I rebuild 2 or 3 I should have a pretty good grasp on how all this works.... plus, I will then have a good carb for my car and a few to resell on ebay, once rebuilt.

I figure about $25 for a ratty carb, $25 for parts and a few bucks for some books. Rebuilt and cleaned up they should sell for $35 - $75 each.

I intend to focus on the 3310 / 4150 style carbs.
I run a 4609 Holley. They have bell shaped primaries and downleg secondaries. They are great off the line and at low speed. And, they have the downlegs for WOT runs.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:23 PM

600 cfm holley

looking thru what carbs you've been looking into and didn't see this one. 600 cfm holley an 80457s with elect. choke, vac. secondaries, and tuned very well right outa the box. i personally have one on my ford 460 and with minor idle adjustment and idle mix. adjust.. she runs well. and from my readings its been suggested to always go with a smaller carb than you think you need. and also edelbrock carbs are set up more (linkage and fuel hook up location) for chevy's. thats my 2cents.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM

What carb to use?

Super chevy,
I would suggest you go with a 600 or650 Edlebrock carb. If you go with a Holley or Demon or any similar carb you will have to set it up, because they usually have to be set up to work right. The Edlbrock doesnt have their secondaries set up like the others. The secondaries on these work with weighted butterflies and not the spring set up on holleys. The vacumn set up on the Holleys NEVER open fully no matter what spring you use. The Edelbrock is a more forgiving carb on a mild build like yours and should perform satisfactory on your 305. Not to mention they are cheaper than the others. This isnt a plug for Edelbrock because I have a Holley double pumper 700 on my 57, but only because I have many extra parts for them (jets, shooters etc.) and I can tune it easier. I used Carter AFB carbs many years ago on my Chevies (the Edelbrocks are AFBs now) and had very little trouble withj them. Good luck Steve
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM

What carb to use?

Super chevy,
I would suggest you go with a 600 or650 Edlebrock carb. If you go with a Holley or Demon or any similar carb you will have to set it up, because they usually have to be set up to work right. The Edlbrock doesnt have their secondaries set up like the others. The secondaries on these work with weighted butterflies and not the spring set up on holleys. The vacumn set up on the Holleys NEVER open fully no matter what spring you use. The Edelbrock is a more forgiving carb on a mild build like yours and should perform satisfactory on your 305. Not to mention they are cheaper than the others. This isnt a plug for Edelbrock because I have a Holley double pumper 700 on my 57, but only because I have many extra parts for them (jets, shooters etc.) and I can tune it easier. I used Carter AFB carbs many years ago on my Chevies (the Edelbrocks are AFBs now) and had very little trouble withj them. Good luck Steve
Old 01-21-2006, 09:55 PM

Last photo:

Do you guys realize, this thread is over 2 years old? The date is in the upper left, right above the posters name. I hope by now he figured out what carb he wanted.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.