Edlebrock or Holley? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You guys do know that this thread is almost a year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 05:10 PM

Yes this post is very old and I'm back to let you know what I did. I went with a Holley 750, Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap, and I installed a Compcams 268H cam. It's running very rich but I haven't tuned the carb yet, or really driven it much for that matter. I need to learn about tuning it so if anyone can help it will be appreciated. I wanted to install a spacer as well but as it is I don't have enough clearance without one. The only way I can drive with the hood on is with the small diameter air filter that pops out through the hole in my hood under the scoop. This is a 351W in a 65 Mustang; major clearance issues
Old 04-29-2004, 01:25 AM

All most every basic aftermarket comes jetted too rich. Start by going 3 or 4 jet numbers leaner. If you want to get as lean as you can get for best mileage and not hurt power you can try going to a higher number power valve. Make sure that your power valve number is lower than your vacuum at idle, such as a 10.5 power valve if you idle at 15" of vacuum or better.
You can make the 750 do better but a 600-650 is going to meter fuel more accurately.
I've ran holleys and edelbrock/carter carb back to back on the same vehicle and with proper tuning you will get better gas mileage and mixture control with the edelbrock. At wide open throttle there's not going to be much difference. For race only cars I allways go with the holley. As an example with all tuning efforts my van got 11.7 mpg at 70 mph. Out of the box the edelbrock got 12.5 mpg. With tuning now I'm getting 13.8 mpg at 70 mph.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

old...OLD thread!

I HATE the Holley carb for street application....period! To much messing around when an Edelbrock carb is pretty much bolt on and run! Now for drag racing, then bolt on the Holley carb and play with the jets and carb spacers and have at it!! Now as for resurrecting a year old thread, I'm just glad I wasn't the one to do it....LOL!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:48 PM
Dirty Dirty Dirty Dirty Dirty

Last photo:

Im running a Holley Dominator on my Y Block Ford and it does the 1/4 in 10 seconds with completely stock internals...yeah thats it...and its in a Daewoo Type R...

Btw Quadrajets are always good if your looking for something other then a Holley.

Threads are never too old theres always someone wondering about an old question

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.