Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Edlebrock Valve Cover Breathers???
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-34 View Post
I had an earlier thread on Edelbrock Valve Cover Breathers. I decided to post a new thread as many that responded to the Edlebrock thread probably wouldn't read that thread again because they already read it and posted.

I have a 327 V-8 with Edelbrock Valve Covers with breathers in each cover. I have a push on cap on the oil fill tube that allows air. I'm getting a small amount of fumes in the passenger compartment.

Would it work if I purchased a Mr Gasket push on breather with a pcv valve barb and run the pcv valve hose to the base plate of my quadrajet carb which has the barb for a 3/8" pvc hose?

The sealed oil breather cap with the barb/hose to carb and the breathers on each valve cover would provide the circulation to eliminate the fumes. I have no oil blowby...just fumes.

This car is a cruiser...local shows and cruise-ins. Never driven over 60 mph. Thanks for any and all input.
For the PCV system to work right, there can be no open breathers like those on the valve covers (if they're functional), and no vented filler cap like on the front oil fill tube.

IMO using a PCV system is a good thing in almost all cases: it keeps the oil cleaner, longer and helps reduce sludge build up. Unless the engine has a lot of blow-by, the small amount of hydrocarbons introduced into the intake tract by the PCV system is negligible. Now, it's not a miracle worker; it's not a replacement for oil changes. And it won't help if you don't fully warm the engine up long enough for the moisture/condensates to evaporate (using a 180 degree F thermostat helps in this regard, as well as helps prevent engine wear- a thermostat should always be used on a street machine). But overall, on an engine in good condition there's no downside and several benefits to using one.

The PCV valve can be in the valve cover, or it can be adapted for use on the oil fill tube/cap, or even the road draft tube if you have one. Depending on what carb you're running, it may be already calibrated for it.

One other thing is to be sure there are no exhaust leaks under the car that could be contributing to, or the cause of, the smell you're getting.

Make sure the firewall it sealed real good.