Edlebrock Valve Cover Breathers??? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is PCV Valve really necessary?

I had an earlier thread on Edelbrock Valve Cover Breathers. I decided to post a new thread as many that responded to the Edlebrock thread probably wouldn't read that thread again because they already read it and posted.

I have a 327 V-8 with Edelbrock Valve Covers with breathers in each cover. I have a push on cap on the oil fill tube that allows air. I'm getting a small amount of fumes in the passenger compartment.

Would it work if I purchased a Mr Gasket push on breather with a pcv valve barb and run the pcv valve hose to the base plate of my quadrajet carb which has the barb for a 3/8" pvc hose?

The sealed oil breather cap with the barb/hose to carb and the breathers on each valve cover would provide the circulation to eliminate the fumes. I have no oil blowby...just fumes.

This car is a cruiser...local shows and cruise-ins. Never driven over 60 mph. Thanks for any and all input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Filler Cap With PCV.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	69351   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1242.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	69352  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetrodderbn View Post
The easiest solution is to connect the pcv to the rear of the block where the road draft tube is located, behind the distributor, I have done this a dozen times. You leave the stock open breather alone in the filler tube, and run a hose type pcv to the rear of the carb, or screw in type- screwed into the vacuum port in the rear base of the quadrajet! The v112 valve is made to run from the road draft breather tube to the pcv port in the carb on a 327 Chevy!
The hole on the back where the original factory setup has been plugged. It looks like it might have a rubber plug with a bolt in the center.

If I take that out what do I use to install in the hole to attach a pcv valve to the baseplate of the Quad? Are you saying that the V112 is the one to use? It has a 1/2" barb with the flow going to the 3/8" barb.

Whatever goes in that hole must have a way to attach a 1/2" hose to the V112 PCV Valve.

Thanks for your response.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

It's only necessary if you don't want the fumes.

PCV valves are emissions related, it doesn't "help" the engine to have it. As a matter of fact burning oil fumes in the combustion chamber isn't a positive for horsepower and performance.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
It's only necessary if you don't want the fumes.
Isn't the job of the PCV Valve to regulate the amount of suction from the intake? Very little suction at idle and almost none at full throttle.

I really don't know....just a thought. I seen a setup like I suggested on a 327 V-8 Corvette with Tri-Power and he claims it works perfectly. Hooked up directly with no PCV.

Would there be a problem at idle if it was drawing full suction?

As I stated earlier....I really don't know and am just throwing out the topic for discussion.

See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 carbs and and no PCV Valve.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	69353  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

..... it was discovered in 1958 that the road draft tube was a major source, about half, of the hydrocarbons coming from the automobile. GM's Cadillac Division, which had built many tanks during WWII, recognized that installation of PCV on vehicles could bring the first major reduction in automotive hydrocarbon emissions.

Happy Reading...

Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

I have read your other post. I really don't think you were understanding some of the threads that were posted. As you say you have fumes in the engine compartment. The purpose of the PCV valve is to pull the gases from the crankcase and pull them into the intake manifold to reburn in the engine again instead of to the atmosphere. The PCV valve regulates the vacuum pulled thru the PCV system. That is why your idea will not work. Here is an article on crankcase ventilation to give you a better understanding than I can explain. Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Well I'll be, I guess I type too slow.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM

secont time,,,, run the PCV hose into the headers.This will not change the tune and it will draw the fumes.

an air pump will actually add power,if you have the room,,both solutions will work.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Is a PCv valve really necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-34 View Post
I had an earlier thread on Edelbrock Valve Cover Breathers. I decided to post a new thread as many that responded to the Edlebrock thread probably wouldn't read that thread again because they already read it and posted.

I have a 327 V-8 with Edelbrock Valve Covers with breathers in each cover. I have a push on cap on the oil fill tube that allows air. I'm getting a small amount of fumes in the passenger compartment.

Would it work if I purchased a Mr Gasket push on breather with a pcv valve barb and run the pcv valve hose to the base plate of my quadrajet carb which has the barb for a 3/8" pvc hose?

The sealed oil breather cap with the barb/hose to carb and the breathers on each valve cover would provide the circulation to eliminate the fumes. I have no oil blowby...just fumes.

This car is a cruiser...local shows and cruise-ins. Never driven over 60 mph. Thanks for any and all input.
Why not get the new tube with the barb and try it. If you find you need a PCV valve at idle get an inline PCV valve for an early model chevy with a 327 engine. I looked my 67 Camaro up on Advance Auto Parts website with a 327 engine. It listed an inline PCV valve by Fram FV112.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

I saw this adapter on a old post that may be of interest to you.
ssmonty

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CB4Q9QEwAQ
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

the road draft breather tube is bolted down to the rear of the block. You probably have a soft plug that was bolted into the hole. I know Ecklers Corvette has the replacement fitting. The tube coming out of the stock adapter is the 1/2" that the pcv valve you identified for the 327 is! Do you know if the road draft breather canister is still in the block? You can see it after removing the plug someone inserted by using a mirror and looking toward the front of the block. it's under the intake manifold, and you won't be able to see into the lifter valley if it is still in place.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Quote:
the road draft breather tube is bolted down to the rear of the block. You probably have a soft plug that was bolted into the hole. I know Ecklers Corvette has the replacement fitting. The tube coming out of the stock adapter is the 1/2" that the pcv valve you identified for the 327 is! Do you know if the road draft breather canister is still in the block? You can see it after removing the plug someone inserted by using a mirror and looking toward the front of the block. it's under the intake manifold, and you won't be able to see into the lifter valley if it is still in place.
Does it make a difference whether the cannister is in there or not?

Looked in Eckler's Catalog and didn't find anything like you stated. Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

the internal canister acts as an oil separator. It would be best if it is still in place, most people don't just remove it unless there is a reason. You will find all you need from Danchuk Part # 13282- you can view it online. it replaces the top piece you don't have!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

'66-67 Corvette Oil Fill Tube With PCV Valve

In the event you end going with the '66-'67 vette pcv in the filler tube here are some photo's and Links:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050B

Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Add PCV

Quote:
the internal canister acts as an oil separator. It would be best if it is still in place, most people don't just remove it unless there is a reason. You will find all you need from Danchuk Part # 13282- you can view it online. it replaces the top piece you don't have!
Many thanks to you and Lakeroadster (used a '67 Corvette Setup...see pictures in an earlier post) for your replies on how to get rid of the fumes in the drivers compartment from open breathers in the valve covers.

I looked up Danchuck #13282 as you posted and see that it is for 1955-1957 Chevrolets to eliminate the Road Draft Tube and replace it with a PCV Valve setup. My '67 327 V-8 did not have a road draft tube but a different type of PCV setup for that year which somebody eliminated (plugged) when they put the Edlebrock Valve Covers with Breathers to make it look cool.

I'm assuming the Danchuck #13282 would accomplish the same thing on my '67 327 V-8 if I choose to go that route.

Lakeroadster and anyone else feel free to add your imput on this Danchuck #13282 setup.

Thanks again to everyone for your patience, pictures and posting on this subject.:

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.