Edlebrock Valve Cover Breathers??? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Edlebrock Valve Cover Breathers???

If you went with the 66-67 Corvette PCV in the filler tube I think that is the best solution. Everything is in front where you can work on it. New chrome filler tube with bung, cap, and PCV valve that screws into the filler tube. Looks nice!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Either option will get you the results you are after. But since you have the road draft opening that certainly looks like the option I would use. It's less expensive and shouldn't be very noticeable at all.

I used the vette PCV since my set-up doesn't have the road draft tube opening.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

personally, I like the idea of a pcv valve in the system to get rid of those fumes inside the engine. I would use the sealed dummy oil cap with the pcv valve installed on one valve cover, then use a vented and filtered dummy oil cap on the other valve cover. it will draw air through the engine from the other valve cover with the vented cap. you get a better purge that way. I don't know what you are running for an air filter system, but lots of the air filter systems have a place for the air tube to connect from the valve cover to the air filter housing. that way you get a better way to filter the air coming into the engine. remember dirt is the enemy. if the valve cover oil cap that is the air inlet doesn't have a filter in it you draw in whatever dust there is under hood when you are driving around, as well as moisture if you wash the engine or drive in the rain etc. I had a set of aftermarket valve covers on a car years ago, they didn't have the hole for the pcv valve, but wen I flipped them over there actually was a knockout there, it just wasn't knocked out yet. have you looked? maybe yours are the same. you would just have to knock out the plug and install a gromet and pcv valve. make sure there is also a baffle under the pcv valve so you don't suck up a bunch of oil spray from inside the valve cover. remember to use a pcv valve rated for your engine displacement.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-34 View Post
I had an earlier thread on Edelbrock Valve Cover Breathers. I decided to post a new thread as many that responded to the Edlebrock thread probably wouldn't read that thread again because they already read it and posted.

I have a 327 V-8 with Edelbrock Valve Covers with breathers in each cover. I have a push on cap on the oil fill tube that allows air. I'm getting a small amount of fumes in the passenger compartment.

Would it work if I purchased a Mr Gasket push on breather with a pcv valve barb and run the pcv valve hose to the base plate of my quadrajet carb which has the barb for a 3/8" pvc hose?

The sealed oil breather cap with the barb/hose to carb and the breathers on each valve cover would provide the circulation to eliminate the fumes. I have no oil blowby...just fumes.

This car is a cruiser...local shows and cruise-ins. Never driven over 60 mph. Thanks for any and all input.
For the PCV system to work right, there can be no open breathers like those on the valve covers (if they're functional), and no vented filler cap like on the front oil fill tube.

IMO using a PCV system is a good thing in almost all cases: it keeps the oil cleaner, longer and helps reduce sludge build up. Unless the engine has a lot of blow-by, the small amount of hydrocarbons introduced into the intake tract by the PCV system is negligible. Now, it's not a miracle worker; it's not a replacement for oil changes. And it won't help if you don't fully warm the engine up long enough for the moisture/condensates to evaporate (using a 180 degree F thermostat helps in this regard, as well as helps prevent engine wear- a thermostat should always be used on a street machine). But overall, on an engine in good condition there's no downside and several benefits to using one.

The PCV valve can be in the valve cover, or it can be adapted for use on the oil fill tube/cap, or even the road draft tube if you have one. Depending on what carb you're running, it may be already calibrated for it.

One other thing is to be sure there are no exhaust leaks under the car that could be contributing to, or the cause of, the smell you're getting.

Make sure the firewall it sealed real good.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

I have a 1948 Willys Jeep that has a PCV valve.
Another added benefit, a working PCV system keeps the crankcase under a slight vacuum, and that reduces oil leaks.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet-34 View Post
I had an earlier thread on Edelbrock Valve Cover Breathers. I decided to post a new thread as many that responded to the Edlebrock thread probably wouldn't read that thread again because they already read it and posted.
And you are still getting replies to the earlier thread. Please read the board guidelines regarding double posting, your threads have been merged.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
The Following User Says Thank You to 68NovaSS For This Useful Post:
Sweet-34 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Problem Solved!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post

Either option will get you the results you are after. But since you have the road draft opening that certainly looks like the option I would use. It's less expensive and shouldn't be very noticeable at all.

I used the vette PCV since my set-up doesn't have the road draft tube opening.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone that has responded to this post. If you do not have the hole in the rear of the block for the PCV Valve Tube used on many '62-'67 Chevy 327 V-8's, you can use lakeroasters setup and it will work as intended. These engines did not have a downdraft tube as they were outlawed in 1961 by the Feds.

If you have the hole in the rear of the block like streetrodderbn indicated, you can use the original vent tube (dixie cup) if you can find one or you can use Eckler's #18-77 or Danchuck #13282 kit for the same purpose as the original setup.

I found an original PCV Valve vent tube (dixie cup) and used a short piece of 1/2" hose to the PCV Valve (Standard V112, Fram FV-112 or Carquest 78088). From the end going to the PCV Valve port on the front of my Quadrajet, I used a 3/8" hose to finish the installation. I scored the original Dixie Cup for "Free" and spent a total of $7.00 for the PCV Valve and two different size of hoses.

I plugged the breathers on my Edlebrock Valve Covers and am using the Oil Fill Tube Breather just like the original set up on some '62-67 327 V-8's.

It works great......No fumes and it idles and performs perfectly.

This forum is the greatest if a person takes their time and processes all the information given. Don't leap at the first suggestion....do your research and process all suggestions.

Again.........Thank you!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dixie Cup Adapter Semi-Closed '62-'67.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	69417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carquest PCV Valve 78088.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	69418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Quadrajet.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	69419   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0519.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	500.4 KB
ID:	69420  

Last edited by Sweet-34; 11-28-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

Thumbs Up!!!

I took it out on a long cruise yesterday and it performed perfectly. No odors whatsoever in the passenger compartment.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

That's It!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty View Post
I saw this adapter on a old post that may be of interest to you.
ssmonty

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CB4Q9QEwAQ
Great input....Follow the link and read all about how I cured the problem using the "dixie cup" setup on my 1967 327-V8.

Back in the day most guys called it a "dixie cup".
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:

PCV Valve Setup works!!!

This PCV Setup is on my '49 Merc Sled with a 327 V-8, 350 Turbo, Camaro Rear and a Nova Front Clip.

Car has less than 2000 miles since finished. Might consider selling sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1021.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	70020   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0066.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	70022   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1249.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	728.1 KB
ID:	70023   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1028.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	70024   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1035.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	70025  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.