Hot Rod Forum banner

Edlebrock Valve Cover Breathers???

21K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  Sweet-34 
#1 ·
I have a set of old school Edlebrock Valve Covers with Breathers on my 327 c.i. Chevrolet. The intake manifold has the oil fill tube and breather on the front.

Is it necessary to have the valve covers with the breathers on this engine seeing that it already has a breather on the intake manifold?

Can I just remove the plastic filters which are totally disintegrated and put an old sock in them and plug up the filter?

The engine has a slight amount of blowby and it comes out the breather on the passenger side. I want to plug it up but keep the breather look.....Is it OK to plug up these breathers so they are not functional on this old 327 c.i.?

I know I can tear it down and rebuild it to eliminate the small blowby smoke.......but I don't want to at this time.

All suggestions and input greatly appreciated.

Thank you~~~~~~~~~~:
confused:

#41 ·
the road draft breather tube is bolted down to the rear of the block. You probably have a soft plug that was bolted into the hole. I know Ecklers Corvette has the replacement fitting. The tube coming out of the stock adapter is the 1/2" that the pcv valve you identified for the 327 is! Do you know if the road draft breather canister is still in the block? You can see it after removing the plug someone inserted by using a mirror and looking toward the front of the block. it's under the intake manifold, and you won't be able to see into the lifter valley if it is still in place.

#45 ·
Add PCV

Many thanks to you and Lakeroadster (used a '67 Corvette Setup...see pictures in an earlier post) for your replies on how to get rid of the fumes in the drivers compartment from open breathers in the valve covers.

I looked up Danchuck #13282 as you posted and see that it is for 1955-1957 Chevrolets to eliminate the Road Draft Tube and replace it with a PCV Valve setup. My '67 327 V-8 did not have a road draft tube but a different type of PCV setup for that year which somebody eliminated (plugged) when they put the Edlebrock Valve Covers with Breathers to make it look cool.

I'm assuming the Danchuck #13282 would accomplish the same thing on my '67 327 V-8 if I choose to go that route.

Lakeroadster and anyone else feel free to add your imput on this Danchuck #13282 setup.

Thanks again to everyone for your patience, pictures and posting on this subject.:
:thumbup:

#47 ·

Either option will get you the results you are after. But since you have the road draft opening that certainly looks like the option I would use. It's less expensive and shouldn't be very noticeable at all.

I used the vette PCV since my set-up doesn't have the road draft tube opening.

#52 · (Edited)
Problem Solved!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone that has responded to this post. If you do not have the hole in the rear of the block for the PCV Valve Tube used on many '62-'67 Chevy 327 V-8's, you can use lakeroasters setup and it will work as intended. These engines did not have a downdraft tube as they were outlawed in 1961 by the Feds.

If you have the hole in the rear of the block like streetrodderbn indicated, you can use the original vent tube (dixie cup) if you can find one or you can use Eckler's #18-77 or Danchuck #13282 kit for the same purpose as the original setup.

I found an original PCV Valve vent tube (dixie cup) and used a short piece of 1/2" hose to the PCV Valve (Standard V112, Fram FV-112 or Carquest 78088). From the end going to the PCV Valve port on the front of my Quadrajet, I used a 3/8" hose to finish the installation. I scored the original Dixie Cup for "Free" and spent a total of $7.00 for the PCV Valve and two different size of hoses.

I plugged the breathers on my Edlebrock Valve Covers and am using the Oil Fill Tube Breather just like the original set up on some '62-67 327 V-8's.

It works great......No fumes and it idles and performs perfectly.

This forum is the greatest if a person takes their time and processes all the information given. Don't leap at the first suggestion....do your research and process all suggestions.

Again.........Thank you!!!!

Attachments

#48 ·
personally, I like the idea of a pcv valve in the system to get rid of those fumes inside the engine. I would use the sealed dummy oil cap with the pcv valve installed on one valve cover, then use a vented and filtered dummy oil cap on the other valve cover. it will draw air through the engine from the other valve cover with the vented cap. you get a better purge that way. I don't know what you are running for an air filter system, but lots of the air filter systems have a place for the air tube to connect from the valve cover to the air filter housing. that way you get a better way to filter the air coming into the engine. remember dirt is the enemy. if the valve cover oil cap that is the air inlet doesn't have a filter in it you draw in whatever dust there is under hood when you are driving around, as well as moisture if you wash the engine or drive in the rain etc. I had a set of aftermarket valve covers on a car years ago, they didn't have the hole for the pcv valve, but wen I flipped them over there actually was a knockout there, it just wasn't knocked out yet. have you looked? maybe yours are the same. you would just have to knock out the plug and install a gromet and pcv valve. make sure there is also a baffle under the pcv valve so you don't suck up a bunch of oil spray from inside the valve cover. remember to use a pcv valve rated for your engine displacement.

#55 ·
PCV Valve Setup works!!!

This PCV Setup is on my '49 Merc Sled with a 327 V-8, 350 Turbo, Camaro Rear and a Nova Front Clip.

Car has less than 2000 miles since finished. Might consider selling sometime. :cool:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.