efi versus carbeurators...4 bbl versus 3 2 bbl's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2002, 05:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down efi versus carbeurators...4 bbl versus 3 2 bbl's

I am finally build my dream hotrod..a 1934 ford coupe. building a 350 chevy. The big decision is electronic fuel injection versus 1 4 barrel or 3 2 barrel carbs. want great low end torque, and a quiet car for crusing. Overall pros and cons?? Also is a 700r4 a good choice for tranny. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2002, 09:51 AM

The 700R4 is a good tranny, there are many kits to bullet proof them now, must run a kit to lock up the converter to avoid killing it with heat. also only run OD when needed to avoid the extra shifts, in my 90 4x4 it has been flawless, run EFI if you can afford it, even a throttle body is better than a carb and the new stuff is very user friendly, my next rod will most likely get at least a TBI system
Old 03-24-2002, 10:12 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Well lets face it, nobody is ever going to make another carberated car from the factory. Why? because fuel injection is so much better. Everything is pretty much trouble free, good gasmileage, automatic air/fuel ratio, smooth running, good cold startups, good low end torque. The minus' that i can see is that not everybody can work on them, and they can get pretty expensive. Granted, its easier and cheaper to make more power with a carb, as well as much easier to work on, but Ill tell you what, as soon as i get 2400 dollars to spend im buying edelbrocks efi.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:30 AM

EFI(factory stock TPI)will give you lots of torque from idle to end and great horsepower but most units including modified are good for 5000rpms that is where the OD trannys come in and rear gearing,if you choose an EFI dont modify it meaning the thrttlebody is large enough for any application as are the runners and manifold the mods should be limited to computer and chip fuel press reg(adj)fuel pump and harness(use a speed dencity system it eliminates the MAF sensor)and with a 700R4 trans with its 3.06 first gear and .70 overdrive you can use 308 or 323(best)rears for outstanding performance.The TPI units give 35% better fuel milage and 30% lower emissions than a carb engine and engines can be built without a lot of exotic parts such as huge port heads, hi lift cams and massive headders although higher compression works good and if the corvette aluminums are used(58cc) you should get away with pump gas,but if you use a carb build it the old way.A carb engine will give you more rpms and more horspower and requires less cash to repair or modify.but it sounds to me that the EFI unit is what you are looking for and the older TPI unit is the most awesome looking fuel system
Old 03-25-2002, 09:38 AM

You may want to consider the cool factor, in my opion you can't beat a three deuce set up. With the correct progressive linkage and secondary carbs.they are very street friendly but may give up alittle performance to the four barrel. I switched to a 3 deuce tunnel ram from automoton and will put it up against any four barrel or efi, on the down side they are expensive.
Good Luck
Drifter
Old 03-28-2002, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

First off, great choice for your hot rod, '34s are the coolest. If you want to build a reliable, extremely road worthy car, go for the fuel injection and the 700-R4. If you want to build an old time hot rod, go with the 3-2s and a four speed. It all depends on what YOU want to do. Have fun with your car.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:56 AM

Red face

Get this!!
Why on God's green earth would you want to put a chevy motor in a ford? Cost? Because GM cranked out so many of them that they are cheep?
I feel being the Ford man I am, that you should stop the insanity and go with a Ford engine.
Sure the parts are more money and sometimes harder to find. But for the money you spend on a ford you can make more horsepower.
For a $400.00 investment you could have way more power than a lowly chevy engine could ever put out.
Also stick with carbration. Unless you want to get into the head ach of tring to figure out the wiring. Yes injection is easier but the level of skill just went up.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:06 AM

I_am_legend, I noticed your post was in the the a morning so maybe you need to have that second cup of coffie before you post a reply. If he wants to stay all ford that is great, but you have to spend so much money just to make the small block ford even close to a mild sbc.
overall cost = chevy
hp per dollar= chevy
Thanks
Drifter
Old 04-01-2002, 08:24 PM

if you like chevy stay chevy if you like ford stay ford yes i like fords but after talking to a chevy guy all the way he finaly admited ford did take more money but they also stayed together longer you may build 3 chevys to one ford but you need to stay with what makes you comfy good luck all gordon
Old 04-02-2002, 01:04 PM

You are a Traitor for considering anything but a Flattie for a 34... get a 49-53 8ba block so you dont have to mess with the poured babbit mains, use a modern c4 auto, there are plenty of adaptors, 2 duece offy mainfold, polished offy heads... itl look better too...

[ April 02, 2002: Message edited by: JdOwNj ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.