Hot Rod Forum banner

egg crate ? solid foam ?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
Looking for another opinion I'm going to start with my interior on my panel truck and the side panels I have a 3 inch indent and would like to fill this space on both sides 24inches x 6ft and looking at 1 inch foam for the inside top what is the right way to go 3 inch egg crate foam or the solid cell foam top of inside I was looking at 1inch closed foam trying to cut down on some of the noise inside the truck. went back a few threads did not see any posts on this?

TIA

#2 ·
Your post is really hard to follow, so if you don't get the answer you're looking for, ask again.

I wouldn't use convoluted foam (egg crate as you call it) for anything. You don't need anything to fill up a 3" deep area, just make panels and cover the area with that. If you're concerned with noise, put some kind of a sound deadener like Dynamat in the area behind the panels.

#3 ·
egg crate

Hey Dan that's what the guy had in there when I pulled it apart. New to this interior stuff just looking for help to do it right. have a big area to try and make it a little less quiet. the rear hums pretty good when going down the highway. Been thinking about this interior for a long time and want to do it right the first time. Thanks Again
Daryl

#4 ·
ragtop
anything solid will create more squeaks. egg crate uses the foam to deaden and the egg crate shape to deflect echos. raammat and ensolite foam is what i researched and used. since you already have dynamat, just use the ensolite over it. both were very well rated on the sound deadening runoff. i used both on the firewall, back wall, doors and under carpet. my truk is still noisy from leaks around doors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.