Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - EGR question
Thread: EGR question
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman87 View Post
I'm reading a thread on another site and someone asks if it's ok to take off the EGR valve and solenoid. He gets mixed answers some people tell him to go ahead and do it and others tell him not to. I want to know,what do y'all think? if I'm running headers, and eliminated the A.I.R.pump, is it worth even having the EGR system?
The answer is, it depends. You didn't indicate year or manufacturer of the engine, but for GMs the EGR draws from the exhaust crossover under the carb or throttle body, so headers won't affect operation one way or the other. If this is an ECM-driven engine, and you have all the original sensors in place, then the EGR only operates at part throttle, so you won't feel any difference in performance. What you MIGHT notice is that there is pinging at part throttle with the EGR inoperative. The stock carb or TBI fuel map is designed to take advantage of the EGR flow at part throttle, so the mixture is on the lean side and timing is advanced. Disabling the EGR without richening part-throttle fuel flow and/or altering part throttle timing to match may cause pinging.