EGR valve- chevy- 4.3 W 1994 S10 4X4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

EGR valve- chevy- 4.3 W 1994 S10 4X4

My egr keeps growing up with carbon. I add sea foam about every 3rd tank of gas to keep it clean. My question is, can the egr be bad, or is there another reason for this. I have a test pipe in place of the cat. and it didn't help. It works good when its clean so what else could cause it to carbon up? Thanks,been dealing with this a while still no answer. 165000 miles

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Sounds like the mixture is too rich causing excessive carbon build up. That or it`s severly lacked in tune ups.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Tune-up already done, I thought that might help, but no help. It could be running too rich, but there's no smoke and as long as the egr is clean it will get about 20 MPG. I can replace the egr, but I'm thinking it will grow up too. Could the egr be bad and causing this condition? The only other thing is the temp gauge does not seem to work properly. It has to be really hot for the gauge to show anything. I replaced the tempture sending unit, but it did not affect the gauge. IF its not running hot enought, that might be causing the computer to make the rich fuel mix, which would cause the carbon build up? Do you think thats likely? Does the ecm read temperture from the sending unit or the gauge? Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

If you have you have a Carquest in your area ask them about a EGR screen. The 4.3 had a problem with carbon build up in the EGR. The fix was to install a screen kit. The only place around here that sold them was Carquest.

http://bbb-carb.com/Klean_Screen/Gmc.htm
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Rodder18, its made by tomco, part #2-1357, for $13.49 Just in case someone else has a problem with the EGR growing up. This screen in made into the gasket and suppose to be good for 5-10,000 miles depending on you driving habits, short trip or further. Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM

A friend of mine has a '95 Blazer with the 4.3 Vortec, and is having the same problem. The gasket with the screen works, but the reason it keeps getting clogged in the first place is because the central port fuel injection on those engines places the fuel lines and I believe the regulator inside the intake. After many years and lots of heat those lines begin to leak and will make the truck run very rich. There's alot of good s-10 forums out there, and this seems to be a common problem with the 4.3's.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

I replaced the CPI unit about 6-8 mos ago. This was a poor design in the first place. I have ordered the egr screen kit, which is only a gasket with the screen built into it. I Plan on installing it today. I love this truck it fits all my needs, being a 4x4 and small. Mine is the Blazer and the grandkids love it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.