EGR, yes or no - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

EGR, yes or no

1986 Corvette TPI 350 in older Chevy. The engine will be stock and in every day use. Emissions are not a factor do I want to use the EGR? I want to keep the ECM functions as simple as possible. It will need sensors that control mixture, timing, and fuel pump relay, are there any others necessary? Where do I get the PROM programed, what is a good price on such a service?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 12:10 PM

Keep EGR

If it were me I'd keep the EGR. Nothing wrong with retaining the factory emissions. The factory calibration for the EPROM has extra timing taking into account for the EGR. If you remove the EGR then you will have a slightly hotter combustion chamber coupled with the factory timing curve and therefore more prone to detonation. Beside the EGR helps with filling the cylinders and which helps with low speed torque. It's hard to find a good TPI tuner. I would suggest retaining all the emissions equipment and running the factory ERPOM close to your setup. You'll have to tell us what rear gears you have and if you have an auto or manual. There may be a factory eprom from an F-body that was setup with the gears you have. If you decide to tackle the tuning aspects yourself, then you might look into having a laptop and an aldl cable that connects between the laptop and ECM. There are tools that allow you to change things on the fly. Give us more info about your setup. I see that you have an 86 system. I personally think the MAP systems are more user friendly but that probably is opening a can of worms. Also check out the prom programming section at www.thridgen.org.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:19 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:

Well, depends on what you have the car for. If you drive it everyday, and dont want to race it, then leave the EGR on it (If it aint broke...). If you are trying to find a free way to find some HP, then take it off. The air going into the cylinders will be cooler since you dont have the hot gases going back in the intake. You can easily adjust the timing on the engine and the ECU wont care. Its up to you. Doesnt matter ethier way. Just a quick free way to gain HP. IMO, take it off, emissions are BS anyway.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:33 PM
mini me

Last photo:

i'm confused i'd like to know this myself

one says take it off that it will make the air cooler,and the other says leave it on to keep the cc cooler

J
Old 08-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

84KYSS states that the combustion temperature will drop. This is true. You have a technically inert gas being injected into the incoming air charge. The EGR will help with detonation and emissions. It will not help performance, under the right conditions, it won't necessarily hurt it either. All the EGR does is to reduce NoX emissions caused by high combustion temperature.

arch states that removing the EGR will produce a cooler air charge. This seems true enough. Without the hot exhaust in the incoming air charge, the air should be cooler. The cooler charge is more conducive to a high performance application.

If the car is to remain stock and used as transportation with a little fun on the side, leave the EGR. If this is going to be anything but stock and you can leave it out of your application, if would reccommend doing so.

hope this helped to clarify this a little. They both put up good arguemnts in both cases, it all depends how and what you plan on doing with the car.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:06 PM
My bike has 4wheel disc brakes

Last photo:

I always thought the point of injecting exhaust gases into the engine was to completely burn Nox gases by RAISING the temperature of the combustion. The hotter your engine is running, the less emissions it puts out. Colder, more. Not really sure how keeping it on would keep the comb. temp lower, aside from spark timing, which can be easily adjusted.
Not to mention, removing the air pump will take drag off the crank to give you about 5HP. And then the weight of the entire emissions system (about 50 or so pounds on that car). Its just a freebie upgrade, which is why its so common.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Flamethrower

Last photo:

All inducing hot exhaust does is raise the charge temp, not the combustion temp. Can you burn something that is (for all intents and purposes) inert? No. It is just dead weight that when ignited is actually cooler than the combustion temperature. High compression increases NoX by the increase in combustion temp. Anything you can do to lower them is a good thing. Water injection, intercooled, etc. That also allows you to run a more aggressive spark advance.

Generally, higher temp leads to better emissions but only too a point. That fine line exists where NoX is down and HC is also down. A catalytic convertor reduces unburned HC by heat.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Personally being from SoCal and remembering what the smog used to be like when I was a kid I would say keep the smog stuff I know that isn't what most would sugest.

EGR when working right won't hurt power at all and will lower NOx because it lowers combustion temps. It is always turned off at idle and WOT so you shouldn't notice it. If you want a colder intake the 1st thing to do in re-route the coolant that goes into the throttle body in the summer (you need them in the winter if it gets cold).

I'm not a big fan of the AIR pump...but they really don't rob much power at all and you would have to put a idler pulley there to get rid of it.

Some people go as far as ditching the carbon canister and PCV because they are evil smog equipment. That is just downright stupid on a car that gets driven.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Flamethrower

Last photo:

The PCV is a good idea. The Charcoal canister on mine got removed because it was taking up prime underhood real estate. The EGR should not matter on a factory type or unmodified car. The AIR pump was annoyingly large on the G-body and the like, the routing also made it hard to work on. The parts to fix the AIR pump are often times hard to find and expensive when you do. Just use your head when playing with emissions.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.