Hot Rod Forum banner

Elderbrock 1403

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Rsmith8126 
#1 ·
Just bought a studebaker pu with a 305 chevy found out that it had a 1406 carb and should have a 1403 500 CFm if I change carb to a 1403 will I get better gas millage with the same performances thanks Ronnie

#4 ·
What other mods do you have?
What intake?
What cam or type of cam?
What distributor?
Headers or not?
What tranny?
What gears?
All factors in your timing.
Best way to figure your best initial timing is bump the initial up until it pings or is hard to start when hot. Then pull it back 2 degrees. That would be your initial. You want a total of around 32 degrees all in by 3000 rpm. Subtract your initial from 32 to see what mechanical timing you need.
You'll need a dial back to zero or digital timing light to set timing because your timing tab might not go higher than 12 degrees.
So you just gotta experiment.
Where do you live?

#5 ·

I live in alto nm we are at 7000 ft I'll play with the timming the engine is suppose to be a 305 cod it is stock except for the I date its a elderbrock with a 1406 that's the way I bought it runs great except sometimes on excellation it surges thanks for the info Ronnie

#14 ·
stock 305 with an edelbrock will likely want about 12-14 degrees at idle, 35-36 max, on 87 octane, probably the medium set of advance springs.

the stock setting for the carb will be VERY close for a stock engine, maybe a HAIR, just a HAIR lean when on the primary step of the metering rods. Your accel pump will need a little adjustment- they always do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.