Elec rad fan motor - 3 wires ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Elec rad fan motor - 3 wires ?

Ok, I got a electric radiator fan I'm working on installing in my project jeep.. and well, the electric motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 2 blue, and 1 black. I stripped the wires and jumped them with a 12v batter/jumper cables to test it. I was thinking the black is the ground/neutral wire, and the other 2 blue wires are the hot wires. So I supplied power to one blue wire at a time testing the fan. It worked.. but I cant figure out why there are 2 blue wires. I thought one was for low speed and the other for high speed. I could not tell any difference when jumping the wires. So, can anyone tell me what the 2 blue wires might be for ? Also the fan is out of a 05 ish pt cruiser.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

It's probably for a thermostat. Or it's a two speed fan.JMO

Cole
Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM

I was thinking 2 speed. However.. I could not tell if it spun any faster when jumping the wires. Also the wire gauge are all the same.. about 14g I'm guessing.

I think I'm gonna wire it up as a 1 speed for now. Should I wire both blue wires to the hot or just pick one of them ?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAreBuilt
I was thinking 2 speed. However.. I could not tell if it spun any faster when jumping the wires. Also the wire gauge are all the same.. about 14g I'm guessing.

I think I'm gonna wire it up as a 1 speed for now. Should I wire both blue wires to the hot or just pick one of them ?

I would probably just tape one of them neatly out of the way for now. and just run one.IMHO I do know the pt had a two speed fan though.

Cole
Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 PM
NUCKINFUTS MOTORSPORTS

The only way to increase the fan speed is to increase the voltage. More volts more speed, less volts slower. Reverse polarity and you reverse direction of rotation. I have a 3 wire.................Ground, Relay fed power controlled by sensor in coolant, and an Override switch.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

one is for the temp switch and the other to the a/c so the fan runs all the time when the a/c is on
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR DC
The only way to increase the fan speed is to increase the voltage. More volts more speed, less volts slower. Reverse polarity and you reverse direction of rotation. I have a 3 wire.................Ground, Relay fed power controlled by sensor in coolant, and an Override switch.
Ok, sounds good.. so thats why I did not see any fan speed difference when jumping it with a battery. So, there is not a way for me to make this a "2 speed" unless I limit voltage to one lead, then full voltage to the other lead for high speed.

I like your override switch idea.. is this used without a relay and a high amp capacity switch ?

I plan to use coolant sensor switch to activate the fan.. but have not found a good switch for this. Any ideas ? 200 on, 180 off switch or something like that ?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAreBuilt
Ok, sounds good.. so thats why I did not see any fan speed difference when jumping it with a battery. So, there is not a way for me to make this a "2 speed" unless I limit voltage to one lead, then full voltage to the other lead for high speed.

I like your override switch idea.. is this used without a relay and a high amp capacity switch ?

I plan to use coolant sensor switch to activate the fan.. but have not found a good switch for this. Any ideas ? 200 on, 180 off switch or something like that ?
Painless makes them. You can get them from Summit. I see you are from Oregon, if not running A/C you can use a ny toggle type switch but make sure to use a relay. Fans draw too many amps to run through a small switch. You would need a relay anyway for your temp switch.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.