Hot Rod Forum banner

Elec window remote switch, stumped

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
I'm a little stumped. I tapped wires from my electric window motor to the trunk for a remote switch in the event the poppers quit. (I have a remote button for the driver's side popper, but I'm a belt and suspenders guy....)

So I hooked up a DPST and shot it the juice, ground to one side, hot to the other side and it didn't move. I switched sides... nothing, but the wires did get a bit warm.

That didn't work. Why not? Obviously the DPDT window switch is still a factor in the circuit, but I thought it would leave the PW motor open on both poles.

Anyone?

#2 ·
A drawing of how you connected it would be very helpful. You need to make sure at a minimum that your remote switch disconnects both sides both + and - to insure it does not interfere with the windows normal operation

#5 · (Edited)
IMO..... wire your relay into the hot wire that rolls the window down. (depending on how your window switches are wired)

IF your window motor switch(s) maintains a common ground and connects a hot, you can interrupt that hot wire with a relay and provide an alternate hot source to operate the window motor.

As mentioned above, need how you have it wired now. If its not like my example, I'd be happy to draw you up a wiring diagram.

IF you can not determine the pin-out of the switch you can add a second relay to interrupt the neg wire.... hook the second relay up so that it provides a ground instead of 12v

Attachments

#7 ·
Other than all the heavy gage wiring could be inside the door and the very small 16-18 gage wiring leading to the trunk could be easily hidden.

IMO you would need 12-14 gage wiring to carry the load of the motor when the remote switch is in the trunk and that might be harder to hide.

#8 ·
I can see your point of view, but since only the "down " circuit is necessary and to one window a momentary rocker/push button switch and and a couple of lengths of 16 ga wire should be sufficient. Naturally it all depends on which way Mitchman wants to go.

#9 ·
It would have to be a pretty hefty momentary switch for contacts to carry the load that the motor will draw..... relay will easily carry the load and a very small momentary switch can easily carry the load of the relay coil..... just my opinion. I agree his project, his money etc....

I use these a lot, about the size of a pencil eraser.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5669e1a699&vxp=mtr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.