Electric brake trailer question? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Electric brake trailer question?

I am tring desperatly to get info on electric brakes pertaning specifically to a tow behind camper. Heres the scenario: My friend is buying a camper that has electric brakes...its my job to do anything to his truck that needs to be done and I know that his little S-10 with a 2.8 is not going to be enough truck to haul this camper so hes going to buy a new truck...but question is this..do I need to get him a controller to go on his S-10 now just to basically haul it the 30 miles home or can I wait untill he gets a new truck...and what exactly does an electronic brake controller do (as a gearhead I really like to know the ins and outs of things I dont know and or understand)and is it even needed? What purpose does it serve? Can he go w/out it if the new truck has good brakes (its a medium sized camper)..is that enough to stop this camper? And if not..how much work do I have ahead of me to get his old (maybe) and his new (definatly) truck set-up for this. Basically I would like to know everything about these "black boxes"(as I know nothing at this point) and how to set them up...if anyone could help me out I sure would appreciate it. Thanks alot..Ken

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I use this one ... I pull a 22 foot Pace enclosed trailer with a 2500 lb car in it ( about 6 thousand pounds total )

go here ...

http://www.brakecontroller.com/voyagerandvoyagerxp.htm

My 2004 Silverado pickup pulls the trailer decently ... I bought the Silverado new with the 5.3 engine and a tow package on it from the factory. That way you get the extra transmission cooler, the trailer receiver is correct for the truck and already installed and the wiring harness in the rear is already set up for a brake controller.

Deuce ... Moderator
Old 03-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Anything over about 2500# will want to have brakes,
Does the trailer have brakes installed already??
If the trailer does have brakes, it would be in everyone's best interest to get the 'black box'.

for a 30 mile trip home with it, drive easy and leave LOTS of room between you and anything in front. The brakes on the S-10 most likely not stop a lot of weight.

The electric brakes on a trailer work with magnets, voltage, centrifigal force.
A given amount of voltage makes the magnets hug the hub portion of the drum and pull the brakes into activation. More voltage=more force.

Some black boxes are hydraulic, and some are completely electronic. I have the hydraulic box on my pick-up, however I bought an electronic one to attatch to the rental van I used to tow my trailer with when I moved to Texas. I was quite impressed with the performance of that one. 4 wires and you are done! I cannot remember the manufacturer of the box, but I still have it in--on the floor of the pick-up--just haven't put it on yet.

Bryan
Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

I bought my electronic unit from an RV parts store. It was about $60. I have towed way over the limit for my 1/2 ton truck and it worked fine. Cant recall the brand. The installation was simple and the instructions were clear. I would highly recommend getting the controller. If, and thats a big if, you were in an accident you could be held liable and your insurance may fight you for reckless endangerment.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

For a 30 mile trip ... I would ask the trailer place to tow it home.
A lot can happen in 30 miles ... and like stated ... your insurance may flake out on you ... As I recall, Maine is a somewhat hilly area ...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:55 PM

I really appreciate all of the advice and I am definatly considering hooking up a brake controller. If they R as easy as you all say they R to hook up than it wont be any problem to swap it from one truck to another. I do however HAVE to prepare to haul this camper myself as there is no "trailer place"..its a private sale and has to be moved by the buyer...So with that stated I have one more question if you folks dont mind me asking...how does the brake controller hook to the camper to control the camper brakes? Does it control them through the brake light wires... Do I need to run a seperate new wire to the rear of the truck to tie in to the camper brakes or are all of the conections made under the dash and (provided its connected right) it works...If someone could answer that for me I beleive that I may have this figured out enough to tackle the job...thanks again...BTW...Maine is VERY hilly and not very many friendly ones..lol..thanks again.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 PM

If the trailer has electric brakes (there will usually be a small battery box on the trailer tongue) and a 7 pin trailer connector, its probably a standard wiring setup. If it uses a 6 wire plug, there are several pin-out standards for that plug.

The electric controller has these connections:
1 - connects to the vehicle brake circuit, so when you step on the brakes it sends a signal to the controller.
2- 12 volts from your truck, this usually has to be a 30 amp fused circuit
3- 12 volts out to the 7 wire trailer connector
4 - ground

When you step on the brakes it signals the controller and it sends 12 volts out to the 7 wire connector. This activates the trailer brakes.

However, the controller needs to be able to modulate the brakes according to load. Some controllers have a swinging weight inside that is used to measure how fast the truck is slowing down. Other controllers are all electric and they modulate the brakes according to how long they are applied. Some folks like the mechanical controllers while others like all electric.

The small battery box on the trailer tongue is usually connected to an emergency pull switch that you connect to your truck with a small galvanized wire and pin. If the trailer separates from the truck and the wire pulls the pin out of the switch, it activates the brakes and stops the trailer.

This web site has more complete info on brake controllers.http://www.etrailer.com/faq/brakecontrol.asp

Bruce
Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I agree with Bryan, I would tow it myself (probably not with a light S-10) without brakes on a Sunday morning, but leave lots of room. Several years ago I bought a 22 foot travel trailer, towing it home with a brand new Ford 1/2 ton only a couple of miles without trailer brakes on a light rain day. Sure enough the guy in front of me panic stopped and I took him out, the trailer pushed me into him then up onto the sidewalk! And that was at only about 20 mph.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.