electric choke - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

electric choke

I have gone though some of the old post on this, but still am confused. I have a new edelbrock carb w/ electric choke. In the morning when the engines still cold I still pump my gas because thats the only way it will start. When i turn the key(not starting it), the choke light comes on and then turns off when i start it. Very confused about having electric choke and still having to pump the gas. The pos and neg wires are hooked up to the choke and the pos is running through the firewall. My ground might not be right, its on a bracket on the intake. Any replies might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

You are just priming the engine, and setting the fast idle speed when you pump it before you start it in the morning. The "electric" part of the choke just pushes the butterfly open for you as the coil expands from heat generated from the voltage going though it. Hopefully, you have a fuse inline on a switched voltage source.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Electric Choke

[size=3]Doc here

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

The Electric Choke is (if done proper) adjusted cold closed, (or at the best location for that engine cold start from 3/4 to full butterfly).

As the Bi metallic Strip inside the choke heats up from the 12 volt heater, 1 to 3 minutes time, It OPENS the choke butterfly to full open. This can be one slow movement or Via Throttle detents, Depending on the Car/Carb.

The Relay is operated off the alternator Sense line, and fires AFTER the engine is running. (Alternator output only)

(This is so you can't pre heat the choke just sitting with the key on, opening the choke on a dead cold engine.)

The Power From the alternator is the control circuit
(fires the relay coil only)

The contacts on the relay switch to a fused constant 12 volt source, and the choke heater.

This relay may also have Charge Lamp on it too..(If the relay isn't firing the Alternator has no output)

What you may have happening, Is one of about 3 things...

First the Choke may start out Cold open because the DETENTS are holding it open from the last warm position from when you shut it off, you may have to throttle it once to get it to slip closed (normal for some)

Second, Your Fuel pump / Fuel delivery system is "Leaking Down" after you shut it down for a long period of time and fuel is running back into the tank.requiring cranking to get fuel back up to the carb once again.

Third The Carb (especially on a Qjet) may be dripping bowl fuel from the soft plugs on the bottom of the fuel bowls into the manifold over time sitting, causing an empty Fuel bowl on cold start up requiring cranking to get fuel back up to the carb on cold start.

Either of the latter will require Cranking no matter what you do, No matter how much choke you have, won't help if it has no fuel to suck...

Do a pressure test/Volume Test on the pump and watch to see if it dosen't drop (leak down) after pressure is built up. If so, replace the pump, or consider some kind of Fuel check valve.

If the carb is leaking down, It is a sign that it's time to rebuild it. Linkages, fuel bowls, etc can leak and empty the bowl over time and require the bowl to fill before the engine will start.

You may also want to look at the status of your tune up...It may be time for a good tune...even if it runs good warm...(weak spark, fouled Plugs, bad wires etc..)

Hope it helps!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Doc
[/size]
Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 AM

Plugs, wires, and distributer are brand new and seem to work good after the vehicle is warmed up. When i start it in the morning, i keep a little pressure on the gas to keep it running. After about 10 seconds it will run by its-self (it will run a little ruff til temp goes up). Tnx for the help.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Never let them see you coming

Last photo:

Sounds like you just need to set your fast idle to the proper rpm, around 1200-1500.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.