electric cooling fan conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

electric cooling fan conversion

Hi, I have a 84 Dodge D150 318 2bbl and I would like to convert from a clutch type fan to an electric cooling fan I was going to run a dual fan setup.
does anyone have any suggestions on the model or brand?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Fan of fans

Can I ask why you want to change? If what you have is not doing the job, it may be another problem.

That 318 shouldn't be hard to cool.

From my research I would look hard at SPAL, and if you get dual, I'd talk to them about a unit with both mounted on a shroud. The shroud needs to fit your cooling fin area perfectly for optimum cooling.

But if your problem is something other than the fan, then you may be throwing a lot of money away.

Personally, for your application, if you have a good shroud on there and the fan blades are sitting half in/half out of the shroud, I'd replace the clutch if it's bad, or get the radiator cleaned out/replaced. Not to mention flush the engine and check out the thermostat.

I don't see what electric fans are going to do to help here and be worth the money in this particular situation. If you had a big block hot rod that sat in traffic a lot on hot days, then yes, by all means, but I don't see the need in this case.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve
Old 09-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

my clutch is going bad so instead of just replacing it id like to convert to an electric fan
one more clearance two 10-15 hp gain three i just want my truck to look good inside and out starting with my engine
im doing a little at a time right now im in school for Auto Service Tech best part about it is i can work on my truck at school but im limited to what i can do since i have to drive home
btw do you know of any websites i can start with?
any more info is appreciated

thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Electric VS Clutch fan

Well I could argue the point with you on your reasons, but something tells me I better just point out where you can seek a second and third opinion.

I'd post a question in the engine section of this board. Tell them what you have and that the clutch fan is going out, and ask what they would do in your situation? Tell them your ideas on WHY you want to go to electrical fans and ask what they think.

Another place that has some great ole rodders that know their stuff with many years of experience would be rodding round table dot com. Between this board and that one, you can't get much better information and advice....unless you found some dodge truck board that could get to specifics for your truck.

Steve
Old 09-16-2007, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

ok ill try that and thanks again
Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Last photo:

Don't do it, stick with the clutch fan it is the best system. Estimate the hp loss with your alternator pumping out enough juice to power two current hungry fans. A clutch fan with a properly fitted fan shroud will hands down outperform any electric fan setup.

Vince
Old 09-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Don't do it

Ok Viking, between this thread and the one you posted in the engine forum, you have 3 opinions to stay with a new fan clutch and zero opinions to go with an electric fan.

I totally agree with 302 Z28's opinion AND the guy in the engine forum. There HAS to be some other areas on this truck that you can work on and possibly upgrade. Save your money and efforts for them.

Here's what I would do:

#1. Brakes - likely original calipers and lines as well as wheel cylinder in the back. Replace the Master Cylinder, Calipers, all steel brake lines, the hoses to the caliper, and the wheel cylinders in the back drums.

Inspect for rear seal leakage inside the drums. At this age I'd be surprised if they are original seals, and the bearings are likely to be pretty old as well.

#2. Replace front bearings and races.

#3. Inspect all steering components. Chances are you are due for tie rod, other steering components and ball joint changes.

#4. service the tranny and rear with filter change and FULL fluid flush of the tranny, drain and replace rear diff lube.

#5. Save up for new high quality all season radial tires.

#6. New plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor.

#7. New water pump and a spare fuel pump

#8. All new rubber hoses and belts, save the old ones for emergencies.

#9. Emergency kit, first aid kit, jumper cables, blanket, work gloves, bunjee(sp) cords, tie downs, rope, hitch components, spare fuses, extra tools for the truck.

Steve

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.