Hot Rod Forum banner

Electric Drive Kits

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
Have anyone ever used an "electric drive kit for mechanical water pumps"? If so would you recommend it or why wouldn't you recommend it,thanks.

P.S. I'm considering using one on my bbc

#2 ·
Kind of off topic , but I was reading about electric superchargers mclearen used at lemon.

I had thought that electric assisted superturbos were make believe, yet the more I research . It turns out they are real. This is not the ebay electric supercharger , but something that is awesome, and will filter down to passenger cars.

Kid down the block used a electric drive WP, don't recall bragging about power, but it sure left green puddles everywhere.

#3 ·
Been around forever.......used one on my dragster years ago before the advent of fully sealed one piece electric water pumps. It was from Moroso, small electric motor with cogged belt drivin the pump pulley. Not for street use. The modern version is an electric motor mounted directly on the pump. Some of these can be used on the street.

#4 ·
Search "electric water pumps" on this site, you'll get ten pages of hits from the board. There's a search box at the top.

There's mixed reviews, likes dislikes for street use, I see most lean towards low reliability for street use. I've never used one so don't have a hands-on opinion.

#7 ·
I was looking to use it on the streets & didn't wanna reduce power or lose my power steering because I heard that you can't have power steering if using an electric water pump thats why I inquired about this setup. Is it true that you can't have power steering using an electric water pump?

#8 ·
No reason why you couldn't run a short belt from the crank pulley to the PS unit. My concern would be the alternator, if you had a high mounting position the belt would need to be long, and with no center pulley (WP) it would seem to me it would move or "flop" so much it would be thrown off or flip over. That's if you can get the belt past the electric pump. I had my alt belt on my blower car roll several times before I found a deep enough pulley to keep it buried, the alt is in front of the pass valve cover. And that was with a WP pulley in the middle.

I know ZOOPS and Billet Specialties make a low alt mount if your chassis will allow it, and you could run another short belt to the crank. My '68 Nova would not, the cross member was in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.