Electric Fan CFM - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Fan CFM

I'm putting in a new sbc stroker and I want to trash can the whole clutch fan concept. I'm on summit looking at electric fans but can't decide what CFM I might need. They run anywhere from 1000 to 4000 CFM's. I don't want to break the bank but I want to keep the motor cool. Is there anyone out there with some experience who could push me in the right direction?

BTW it's going in an 80 Elky with a stock radiator.
Thanks
Darrin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

the black magic fan is a good one. 2800 cfm. but they only rate it for 250hp with ac. You may want to rethink using the fan clutch.

I have seen good results with mid 1990's ford passenger car electric fans (V6 and V8). They have low and high speeds (3 wire).
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

Ok getting closer,
2,800 ish for 250 HP. The stroker got 450~500 hp, so I'm going to guess and say at least a 4000 CFM?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

yep, you need a lot of electric fan. And those fans pull serious amps. They really tax the charging system. 20 or 25 amps is not uncommon.

the black magic fan pulls 17 amp, I believe.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedub
I'm putting in a new sbc stroker and I want to trash can the whole clutch fan concept. I'm on summit looking at electric fans but can't decide what CFM I might need. They run anywhere from 1000 to 4000 CFM's. I don't want to break the bank but I want to keep the motor cool. Is there anyone out there with some experience who could push me in the right direction?

BTW it's going in an 80 Elky with a stock radiator.
Thanks
Darrin
The problem is less of one of CFMs and more of one of getting air flow across the entire core. We have lots of unhappy people writing on this forum that they bought the biggest flowing fan there is and aside from a lot of noise, they don't get much cooling performance from it.

What happens is that these fans pull a lot of air thru a small part of the core right in front of the blades. Multiple fans do a better job of drawing air over more core area, but often still not enough area is esposed to the air flow. It still comes down to having a shroud that encloses the perimeter of the core at one end and mounts the fan at an exit mouth at the other end. This allows the fan to make a pressure differential over the entire core which flows air over the entire surface area.

Fans that push are even less effective as they don't cause a pressure difference over the core except in front of themselves, so again much of the core isn't doing any heat exchanging.

So the key here is figuring out how to cause a flow over most, if not all, of the radiator core so it's giving up heat over all its surfaces. In the end you'll end up with something that looks like what came from the factory. Guys running traditional hot rods where there isn't space for shrouds have lots of cooling problems. The surface area for radiators in these 1920, 30, and 40 designs were inadaquate for 221 inch flat heads, it doesn't get any better trying to cool 350s, 400s, or 454s with the same area even with deeper cores and high pressure systems. So these things go critical very quickly.

Bogie
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

I used a licoln markVIII

Bought on ebay.relay from summit and the thing kicks *****.Always had cooling problems.Added an aluminum radiator and this Mark VIII fan and the thing is fantastic.All the Mustang guys swear by it.They say the black magic is a waste of money.I don't know if thats true but I was on a budget and it works.I have a BBC with a 671 blower.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

Thanks for your input bogie,
I think I made up my mind. After reading your post and a few other threads, it seems the way to go is staying with your clutch fan and a good shroud. My first thought was electric would out perform a fan hands down. But to match the CFM, you need over 4000 CFM and that tends to be a noisy amp hog that just doesn't seem worth it.
Take care
Darrin
Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM

speaking from experience, i bought the dual 13 inch fan assembly from summit, made br derale. i have a 454 in an 81 malibu with a 3 core stock radiator, and it never goes above 195. a single 16 inch fan overheated after 10 minutes (230 degrees). aluminum radiator would be even better.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Electric fans are rated at free-flow, so once installed they might only flow half of what they're rated.

mechanical fans are usually rated at actual flow as installed, and are rated at 1800 rpms.

Comparing an 18" electric fan that says 3600 cfm to an 18" flex fan that is rated at 3200 cfm is no contest. The flex fan will move 4-5 times as much air at higher RPMs, and the electric might only flow 2000 as installed
Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 AM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

Thanks curtis,
you just confirmed my choice.
For the rest of the electric fan fans (pun intended). I'm not knocking your choice, it's obviously working for you and I have to admit they look sharp, thus one of the reasons I wanted one in the first place.

Thanks to all
Darrin

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.