Hot Rod Forum banner

Electric fan & Ford Solenoid

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  judd55 
#1 ·
I am installing a Ford solenoid to alleviate a Hot start problem in a Chevy with HEI and will not be using the 'I' post on the Solenoid. Could this terminal be used as a key on scource to power an electric fan, is it too low a voltage or is it only on momentarily?

TIA..........Judd

#6 ·
No worries there Henry, It is a Flex-a-Lite Black Magic fan with a built in relay and 30Amp in-line fuse wired direct to the hot side of the Solenoid for the main power. The wire in question is the Thermostatic control which can be wired directly to 12V so's it will continue to cool when shut down or to a Key On source, which I prefer (if I should require additional cooling upon shutdown I can simply turn the Ignition on) It is currently wired to the fuse panel under the dash. I am mainly concerned with overloading the Ignition switch with all the modern day Key On accessories attached, Electric Fan, Stereo Head Unit and Amp, Sirius Radio, Tach, Power point, Lighting etc. I thought that if I could find another source for the fan at least, it would lighten the load on the Ignition circuit. I installed the Ford solenoid to alleviate a Hot Start problem in the first place and I want to cover all the bases

I have since found another way to achieve this by triggering all of the Key On accessories using another Ford solenoid to feed a separate power block and I will post it here in another thread so that all interested may benefit.

Cheers, Judd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.