electric fan - no shroud? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2005, 12:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

electric fan - no shroud?

I just got my 16" electric permacool fan today and was breezing over the instruction when they stated that a fan shroud is not needed. I checked there website and it states :"Do I need a shroud on my Perma-Cool electric fan?

No, all Perma-Cool electric fans are designed to be installed directly to the radiator core, close enough to not need a shroud."

The radiator is out of a 95 manual firebird and will be cooling a 283 sbc. I assumed that any fan I was going to use would need a shourd, so should I still build one? Every post about cooling I have ever read, people always plug the use of a shroud. whats the deal? Will I be ok without one?

btw, the firebird radiator has the two larger lines (water pump and thermostat housing) but there is also two smaller holes, driver side is male and passenger is female, around .5" or so. What are these for?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

The housing that holds the electric fan acts as a shroud. There is no need or advantage to build another.

Mount the fan as a "puller" as this is more efficient than when mounted as a "pusher".

The smaller openings are probably for the automatic transmission.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Hey blob,
I have one of those fans too. After trying both push and pull configurations on the rad and monitoring my temp, I decided to build a "insert for the fan that would allow me to run the factory shroud! My car has A/C on it, following the setup in the instructions I found that the fan did not provide adequate cooling so........ I cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, not MDF, so that it would fit inside the original schoud on my car. 83 Cutlass. There happens to be a lip around the whole shroud that holds the plywood perfectly. There is also another lip inside the first one so it actually sandwiches the plywood between 2 stops so to speak. It can't go towards the rad and it can't go towards the engine. My shroud is a 2 piece unit. An upper and a lower piece. I pulled out the staples that held them together so that I could separate the 2 halves, put the plywood inside and then screwed them together. Just lay the assembled shroud on the plywood and trace this inside of it to the wood, then cut about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch outside this line. Once you have this nice round piece of plywood, center your fan on it and trace the perimeter of the fan, then cut the center of the plywood out. Presto, now you have a "coupler" to mount your fan to the original shroud. I had to mount mine so that the motor of the fan was facing the rad because of clearance issues with the water pump pulley. So when you look into my engine compartment all you see is the fan blades inside the shroud. KEEP HANDS CLEAR still applies, as you can now get at the blades when they are spinning! This allowed me to "pull" air though the entire rad surface area, and A/C rad as well. I works great. Just make sure you have the fan blade turned the correct way. In my case it is still a "pusher" but its inside the engine compartment. I also sprayed the wood with undercoat (black) to help it with any water that gets to it. This setup has been on the car for 2 1/2 years and it has worked flawlessly.
Cheers,
Z
Old 02-08-2005, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Z, can you post some pictures of your shroud setup?

Thx,
Denis
Old 02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

You said your using a rad out of a 95 firebird? If it came out of a V8 car you may want to check your rad hose locations those late model LT1s use "reverse " cooling system. Just a thought.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

If you have the same perma cool fan that I used, it doesn't have a shroud around it, its an open fan, correct?

If that is the case, you will want to use a fan shroud, if you don't have one, universal shrouds can be found and they don't cost much, easy to modify.

Installation is easy, use the four nylon straps/bolts (whatever you wanna call them), too easy. Takes no time, be sure and wire it correctly or it will move air in the wrong direction.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2005, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

BLOB,
I will tomorrow.
Z
Old 02-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

BLOB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0003.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	3902  
Old 02-09-2005, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Excellent idea - very slick! Thanks for posting the picture. Like in a saying: "one picture is worth a thousand words"?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Here is another one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0008.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	3903  
Old 02-09-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeder
Here is another one!
That does not look like a Permacool High Performance fan. The 16" High Performance fan is #19115 and moves about 2900 cfm. I have the setup on my '76 'Vette and it cools with no problem without a shroud. And you know how hard it is to keep Stingrays cool.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

glen424,
You are right! My apologies! Its a Be-Cool fan. Sorry about that. The shroud couple has improved this fan's effect though!
Z

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.