Electric Fan Setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Electric Fan Setup

Hey guys. I am going to install an electric fan setup in my cutlass. From the research I have done most people like to go with fans from mid 90s ford taurus. Its a dual speed fan... I am going to use a temperature switch from a bmw that will trigger at 180 the low speed and 195 for the high speed. This will then go to a dual relay setup from a volvo. The heat exchanging area of my radiator is 16 1/2 height by 26 1/2 width...... my dad says its a modine for a monte carlo... Can anyone suggest a fan and shroud setup i can get and maybe what make/model/year car i should look at. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since I`ve delt with the 80`s line of cutlass I can tell you what we use.
We`d find a fan out of a 86 buick park avanue. It`s a bolt in fit. On top of your rad there are 2 bolt holds in the upper rad cradle, the fans holes line up perfectly with them. Use 2 pieces of cut vacuum hose as your cusion between the two then snug`em up. Just put 1 bolt in the bottom rad cradle to hold it in place then add a summit electric fan kit. Quick, easy and won`t cost you over a 100 bucks total. It`s kept our rides cool in the summer heat and down here it gets in the high 90`s with high humidity.
Know you have another set up on hand, however, just thought I`d give you the tip.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Thanks DV. All input is appreciated
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

I put the taurus/volvo combo in my 55 Belair with a 283 and I used shroud from the Taurus. Put some "bulb seal" on the outer edge of the shroud so it would not rubb the rad and i could get a good tight seal. fit like they were made for each other. I run my fan on low for the thermostat and will run it on high eventually for an air conditioner system-Bill
Old 04-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

can anyone help point me into the right direction for the fan and shroud setup? I already know how I want to do the electrical portion. From what I have read online it seems like mid 90-95 3.8 v6 taurus all had this fan setup....and how critical is it that the shroud covers the entire radiator?... I have a feeling that the fan and shroud setup I want is going to be a little more narrow than the area of my radiator.
Thanks in advance!

Hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds out I will be able to make a trip up to the u-pull in buffalo....It seems to have been raining non stop since the last snow storm here lol. Opening spring swap meet at my local track has been canceled the past two week and next week isn't looking any better

Seems to be a good write up.....http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/print...hreadid=120931

Last edited by zildjian4life218; 04-22-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`m not sure how it would fit, but I wanted to say more on how my friends is run. His is centered right in the middle of the rad, no shroud or the like. Last night while parked with it running, the fan kicked on, we were standing
right beside the passengers side door and we both could feel the blast of air coming from under the car making our leg hair dance. It`s really surprising how much air a electric fan can move. I never thought his was that strong, all I knew was I used one on my cutlass for a long time before swapping to a serpentine belt system. When I did that, I ordered the pieces from Summit and went back to a clutch fan. The elec fan he`s running rides about 1/4 inch from the rad so it`s not likely cooling it as well as it could, but we never bothered to go back and build a shroud but we just may since the big trans cooler and soon to be added a/c condenser is going back on.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.