Hot Rod Forum banner

Electric fan temp ?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  John long 
#1 ·
I have a 88 350 Chevy small block that I converted to electric cooling fans. I am running the stock 195 deg. t-stat and have a fan sensor mounted in the t-stat housing (3/8 18 thread). I was using a 210 on 190 off (a little low) sending unit supplied by an online company and they seem to have a high failure rate. I would like to use something that I can get at a local auto store. What would the best open and close temperature be for this to work properly and not get too high, and does anyone have a part number. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
I have had 2 of the BeCool sender fail. The fan will turn on and will not shut off after a few months of use (checked them with IR in the engine and on the bench) They replaced one under warrantee. I am trying to find a sensor that is over the counter so if it fails I don't need to special order it. Does anyone know of a OE sensor that would work in the head or t-stat housing. I know the head temp will be higher than the housing.

#9 ·
The Hayden after market unit works well. It is the heavy duty fan controller and sells for about $50 from Advance/Discount Auto. If you have a problem they will return it. I have had mine on my car several years with no problems. It turns my fan on at 180* and turns off at 165*. It has a simple dial you turn with a screw driver to set when the fans turn on and off. It is fairly simple to install. Just keep an extra relay in the car if the relay ever goes bad.

#10 ·
I had a sensor on my motor that turned the fans on at 195. But I have always put in a toggle over-ride in as well. Came in handy as one day riding around the sensor stopped and the temps went soaring. Hit the over ride and stopped the over heat.
Took out the sensor and just use the toggle now.

#11 ·
If you have a sensor that turns off at 190 and a 195 tstat your fan will run all the time. The thermostat can be changed to 180 or another sensor installed for the fan. I have had really good luck with the adjustable sensor I installed. Sorry, I do not remember the brand. I know my electric fan and shroud is Cooling Components and suspect I got my sensor from them.

John L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.