Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Electric Fan Temp. Sensors
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Electric Fan Temp. Sensors

As you may have notice by my previous post, I've just put a 16" electric fan in with a new Walker radiator. I was having some problems with my voltage and discovered it was all due to a bad circuit breaker for the fan. All is well now!

But now I'm disturbed by the temp. readings I'm getting on my temp. gauge. The temp. sensor for the fan is suppose to turn the fan on at 190* and off at 170* ... it turns the fan on at 190* alright, but my temp gauge goes all the way down to 120* before the fan shuts off and it seems my engine is spending more time in the cooler temps than it is in the 180* area, which is most desirable, right?

So I've been digging around the knowledge base, looking to educate myself about temp. sensors and getting nowhere fast.

Can anyone help me understand these puppies? What are the different kinds available? What are the best types to use? Should my temp gauge be reading so low before the fan shuts off? Isn't it best to keep the temp around 180* as much as possible?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup